Photo

AL10 here

21 replies to this topic

#1 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

hi, im a young aquarist, I have a 10g right now, I cant upgrade or get another tank because im currently in rental but I am hopefully moving in a couple months, here is some info on the tank.
equipment: aqua-tech 30-60 with diy pre filter sponge, incadescent hood, with 2 incadescent plant growth bulbs, petco air pump(for breeder box and other small tank thing)
Stock: 4 kuhli loaches, 1 otto, 1 upside down catfish, 1 male guppy, 9 adult mosquitofish, which will be moved to a pond at my church in a couple weeks, 10 or so mosquitofish fry in a breeder box, will also be moved.
Plants: aton of java moss, a java fern, somejava fern plantlets, some hornwort, 3 aponogeton ulvauceus, maybe some marsh pennywort, not sure if I want to add though.

Ok so I have always been fasinated with native fish, and I love swamp darters, and my lfs gets shipments of ghost shrimp all the time, so after the mosquitofish are gone I was thinking about getting a couple if my lfs ever gets them as hitchhikers, so I was wondering what y'all thought it? I have 2 terra cotta pot halves, 1 terra cotta pot plate with some holes cut into it for the kuhlis, a smallish rock structure, and I have smooth natural gravel for sub. I am not even a teen so I can't get a job, so I can't spend any money on this.
Thanks in advance, here's a pic of the tank.

Attached Images

• 100_1952.JPG

Edited by aquariumlover10, 16 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

get a net:you can get a cheap one from walmart with a long wooden handle, used, I think to catch bait , it won't last long, but will get you started, swamp darters abound here in fl. they will be down in the muck, also, in the weeds you will find hundreds of ghost shrimp, and many attractive small fish species. cheaper and more fun than buying

#3 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ok thanks, I have a couple hand nets, cast nets(1 is 10' wide!), and a couple poles, the only prob is my dad needs a license and we his cars water pump or thermostat broke so I can't really goanywhere for awhile.
Do you think with stock they will be fine? Well do you think they will be finewith everything in there exept mosquitofish? How should I quarintine them and any other shrimp/fish/plants I get?

#4 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Oh I have a 1/2 gallon tank, but that is the only other tank I can set up.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Check those regulations. In most states the parent needs a license if he/she is fishing with their child. If it is somewhere nearby that you are allowed to go to by yourself, your parents may not need a license. I am not sure how it works in Florida. You are at a great age to choose to learn more about what is in your own backyard.

#6 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yeah anyone over 16 needs a license, blaaaaah, my parents are WAY OVER protective and won't let me go to another street in my neiborhood when riding my bike or whatever.
When we move we are going to setup a aquaponics so I could sneak some natives in there.
Would the darters be ok in my tank? Can I put them in a 1/2 gallon tank to quarintine? What diseases do them carry normaly? I don't have money to get meds so I want to be as carefull as possible, if they get some kind of parisite or disease will epsom salt help?
Thanks in advance for answering questions.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

The most common disease problems I see in recently caught native fish are Flexibacter (aka Columnaris) and Ichthyopthirius (Ich). They can also have skin/gill flukes, intestinal worms, protozoan diseases, and others, including most of the same ones that tropical fish get. There's always some disease risk when mixing fish from different places, but most FL-farmed fish in pet shops are probably already carrying (or at least exposed to) most if not all of the fish diseases in your local streams. Some of us here often mix tropicals and natives together without any disease problems. Regular NaCl salt (not Epsom salt) is effective against some diseases. Your state university has some excellent fish health & disease articles online here: http://tal.ifas.ufl....ublications.htm

#8 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Ok thanks, I just had someone on my tropical fish forum got columnaris in there tank and all but 1 fish have died in a week, they had like 30 fish! So if I asked my lfs to quarintine or if I quarintine with my 1/2 gallon how long should I quarintine? I am willing to do it for 2 months, iwould like it shorter but that's the longest I will go, are there any home remedies that will kill paristites and/or diseases? What will epsom salt help with? Will api betta fix help anything? It is tea tree oil, I have some ick tabs but they are for 10g tanks so I don't know how I could use them.

#9 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

Ok after someone answers the above, what do they eat? I have tropical fish flakes, new life spectrum thera A 1mm, and betta pellets, I may be able to get some kind of mosquito larvae, but I'm not sure, I am also breeding pond snails.

#10 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

cast nets generally have too large diameter mesh, you need about 1/4 inch, swamp darters are not picky eaters but are bottom fish. at the ifs they have semi sinking small pellets, you might try cut up earthworms, try a five gallon plastic bucket, kept in the house to control temp ,with an airstone or small flilter and frequent waterchanges, for couple of weeks as a quarantine. then see if they are healthy. I'm just hacker myself, but I'm trying to go simple and cheap. good luck

#11 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Ok thanks, I have will use dip netting, and minnow traps, hopefully I can go to a lake soon, I was wondering if you know if there are any swamp darters at the alafia river state park? If I cut the top bit of a 1g milk container, can I use that as a quarintine? It had spring water in it.
I think I am going to try getting some earthworms while fishing and/or water bugs, snails, mosquito larvae, do they eat any above? I know they eat crushed snails and earthworms but any of the others?
Thanks.for answering all the questions, because I know, there are aton.

#12 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

use something sturdier, and a little bigger if possible, I have cats, so I use cat litter cans well rinsed,

#13 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

That's the only other thing I have that's bigger then a 2 litre bottle, will a 2 litre bottle work? Or a old 1g plastic ice cream tub? I don't have a job or a lot of space so I'm limited on what I can get/use.

#14 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

I guess the ice cream tub might work ok, have to limit fish change water a lot

#15 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Ok thanks, this is going to be at least 2 weeks till I can get anything, because my kuhli loaches are getting ready to have eggs :) so I need to make sure my mosquitofish are in my churchs pond by Sunday.

#16 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Ok recap, I am going to get swamp darters at a lake or my lfs, then I will quarintine in a 1g tub for 2-3 weeks, and I will feed, earthworms if I can find some, nls thera A 1mm pellets, and I may try a mosquito larvae set up. Sounds good? Do they eat mosquio larvae?

#17 Guest_Jsigmo_*

Guest_Jsigmo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

If you know anyone with cats who buys the clumping kitty litter they sell at Sam's Club, and probably other places, it often comes in 40 pound plastic buckets. I've found these buckets to be really handy for a lot of aquarium uses! One of those would probably make a pretty decent quarantine "tank". I'm guessing they hold about 3 gallons.

Someone with cats who uses that kind of kitty litter would probably give you a few of those buckets. We end up generating so many of them that I bring them to work, and we use them for a lot of things here, and other people take them home to use around the house. You can never have enough plastic buckets. (Unless you have a bunch of cats, and then you CAN have enough of them). :)

Edited by Jsigmo, 20 September 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#18 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Nope, my parents hate cats and anything involving inside cats, I have a neibor with some cats that may have them, if not I can use the 1g.

#19 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Ok thanks, this is going to be at least 2 weeks till I can get anything, because my kuhli loaches are getting ready to have eggs :) so I need to make sure my mosquitofish are in my churchs pond by Sunday.

Please do not release the mosquitofish. A) they could carry pathogens from the aquarium which could infect the other fish in the pond and B) mosquitofish are nasty little fish that eat the fry of other species.

#20 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Ok guys I'm al10 now mu account was lost in the glitch thing
It is a preformed 30g pond not within a mile of any natural water, and I have a tropical tank, and don't have anydiseases and I do a peroxide dip before putting in their.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users