Rio grande "texas" cichlid breeding/rearing help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

I have a few of these cichlids in my sunfish tank. They have been spawning, and now I have one guarding a cluster of eggs on a piece of driftwood. I know they won't survive in the aquarium with the other fish..
Is there a way I can remove the eggs safely and place them in a separate aquarium? How will I go about setting something like that up? And how about aeration of the eggs?

#2 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Since they aren't native I would join here www.aquaticentusiast.com and/or www.aquaticenthusiast.com they are both really good sites, I'm on both too.

(Moderator edit: the Rio Grande Cichlids are in fact North American Native Fish and are discussed here. Don't go somewhere else, used the search function here.)

#3 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Isn't the blue texas cichlid or rio grande perch/cichlid the only native cichlid in the US?
I'll check out the site, thanks!

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

John,

The Texas cichlid is native and is certainly pertinent discussion material. Unfortunately, I can't help with the original question though. Hopefully someone will chime in shortly.

#5 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

most cichlids aerate the eggs and protect the fry, so it seems to me you could remove the drift wood/eggs and parents to a new aquarium, or just the eggs to a small tank with a little fungicide, airstone and daily additions of fresh water, good luck , I have fond memories of these in west texas, but maybe cichlid breeders could be more help

#6 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

I could remove the driftwood with the eggs, but not sure how to set up the air stone or aeration?
I've breed tilapia before using an egg tumbler.
Just not so sure on the initial setup :/

#7 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

If you remove wood and put in another tank, put a air stone bar underneith them and make sure all eggs have some movment.
And guys, I didn't say they weren't native, I said they weren't as popular in native keepers as in tropical keepers, and dustin, same as above dude, stop bashing.
P.S. if y'all keep doing the whole no one can leave links to other forums thing, your going to lose a member.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Since they aren't native I would join here www.aquaticentusiast.com and/or www.aquaticenthusiast.com they are both really good sites, I'm on both too.

You clearly stated that they aren't native. It is okay to be wrong. I see absolutely no "bashing" going on here whatsoever.
Our rules are in place for a reason, and that reason is not to simply irritate you or any other member. The forum staff and moderators adhere to our rules and ensure that they are followed. We occasionally lose a member because they do not like our rules, but we are not going to alter something that works for an occasional complaint. In this case I suppose we are at risk of losing a member, because we simply do not allow links to other forums, or any links in signatures unless approved and very related. I hope you stick around and learn from other folks though instead of leaving over something so small as posting links.

#9 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yeah and that's the thing, its a TROPICAL fish forum, this is a native fish forum, trust me, there's a difference.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

I really dislike moving eggs or trying to hatch them outside the tank they were laid in. If you want the babies, remove the other fish until the fry are self sufficient then remove them to a grow out, or make the original tank the grow out.
Many will tell you all kinds of ways to hatch eggs but after a bit of time and a number of tropical and native breeding successes, I came to the conclusion nature does it best.

#11 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

my friend down the street raises tropical cichlids, they are apparently mouthbrooders and pretty intense parents, does anyone know about typical texas cichlid brooding behavior, it might not only kinder and more effective to leave them in place as mike says, if john is able to, but extremely interesting, I might have to take my net to del rio texas, keep us informed john, once again good luck

#12 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well the fish eggs dissappeared already, (most likely were eaten). But I have the same pair still showing breeding behavior, and have moved to a different part of the aquarium and have already dug up a nest. I'm thinking of just moving that pair to their own aquarium and wait till I see some free swimming fry.
If I see eggs before hand, I'll try that air stone method👍
Would an egg tumbler work?

Mouth breeders are simple to breed, I have bred tilapia before. Either carefully remove the female once her mouth is full or strip her and place the fish eggs or underdeveloped fry into an egg tumbler.

#13 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Texas cichlids are not mouth brooders and will not need an egg tumbler. The parents are the likely culprits who ate their own eggs. My guess is that they are a new/young couple. It is more beneficial to them, nutritionally speaking, to eat their own eggs and reabsorb the nutrients than to abandon them and let others get a free meal. This happens frequently with first time parents of some species. Also, the stress of tankmates or being located in a high-traffic area (where people going by throughout the day) may cause them to eat their own eggs. Putting them in their own tank is certainly the way to go. They will guard their fry once they hatch. If you don't feel like moving the parents to their own tank, I would advocate pulling the eggs if you want to rear the young. Texas cichlids (eggs, fry, and juveniles) are a very hardy species. Since they lay on hard surfaces, it is easy to remove all of the eggs on the object that they were laid on. I would do daily water changes of at least 50% using "new" water from the original (parents) tank to refill the nursery tank. Once the fry are free-swimming, they will take newly hatched artemia nauplii and crushed flake.

Not sure what all the confusion about whether or not Herichthys cyanoguttatus is a native or not is all about. They are. And whether or not they are tropical is a moot point. It is a native species found within the boarders of the U.S., it is a valid species to discuss on this forum. I agree with the ruling not to allow links to other forums. A simple google search is all you'd need to find other forums--much the same as a lot of people found the NANFA forum.
Nick L.

#14 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

aquariumlover10, I'm not sure what your objective is, or why you have negative feelings towards NANFA and how it runs. Guests and members alike are free to come and go if they are unhappy with the services. There are many (paying) members who rarely, if ever, make posts. On the other hand, there are many (non-paying) guests that ask a lot of questions--then vanish for whatever reason. You will find that many people are less likely to help you with your inquiries when you speak poorly about the organization. NANFA will continue to discuss information about native fish long after both you and I are gone.

I did not look at or join the aforementioned forums. I joined NANFA to discuss native fish species and will join other forums if I am interested in discussing any other group of fish or animals. I can appreciate your willingness to openly express your distaste for the way NANFA chooses to conduct itself. However, I'm sure you'll find that the moderators will happily speak with you privately--as opposed to speaking out on an otherwise legitimate and interesting topic regarding native cichlid breeding.
Nick L.

#15 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

thanks, I'm sure john is happy to finally have a voice of experience, and so am I, these are a unique and rare species here, I don't think there are many native or tropical collectors out there, I see there are fl. populations can they be as invasive as their tilapia cousins?

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

I would imagine that Texas cichlids are doing well as an invasive species in Florida among natives and other invasives cichlids alike. USGS has records of them being found in FL as early as the 40's: http://nas.er.usgs.g...x?SpeciesID=443 . I would certainly attribute that in part to the high level of parental care and protection the fry receive. I would personally put them on the more docile end of the aggressive spectrum.....for a cichlid, that is. But if you've never seen a full grown (12") individual, you can imagine that even a docile cichlid wouldn't have a hard time fending off any predators trying to eat their fry.
Nick L.

#17 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

They seem to be almost wiped out in the san felipe creek in del rio tx, I blame pleco catfish taking over

#18 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Several related species that like to lay eggs on hard surfaces will prefer a cave if available. One easy way to do this is to add a flower pot on its side. The eggs will be laid stuck to the inside of the ceramic, and can easily be removed to another tank. If you move the eggs and not the parents I have found them to be somewhat vulnerable to fungus. An airstone might help with that, for water movement, but the parents are best. I think they remove diseased eggs before the fungus can spread. Once the eggs hatch, the fry will rest together in the bottom and you can just remove the pot with all of them in it in a bit of water.

#19 Guest_John4ds_*

Guest_John4ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

Just got back from work and I now see a bunch of baby texas cichlid fry. Both parents are guarding them.
Should I remove the fry?

#20 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yea, I have never bred native or cichlids so I have no.clue, but I know I would love some pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users