Baby sunfish ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hi All,

I was in a big box retailer picking up some supplies and they had several young sunfish in with their plants. I normally buy local but had to make a quick stop to at the closest place to my office.

Anyway, they said these often come in with their feeder goldfish shipment. They couldn't ID them. Sorry for the bad picture (fish wouldn't stay still), but does anyone want to hazard a guess?

They're about nickel-sized. Super cute. I didn't buy any; I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Green
Nick L.

#3 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the prompt ID! If I had another tank going, I'd grab a few and grow them out.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

there can be only one
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

Just a warning: they grow fast and have BIG mouths, bigger than they'll show you. I got a 1 1/2" one the same way, about 3 weeks ago. It's already grown a half-inch and it's hounding my inch-long glowlight tetras. Pretty sure it's eaten the smaller ones. Very intelligent and interactive fish, but they're definitely the kind of thing to keep as a single wet pet.

#6 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

They can be kept with other large sunfish, but they're far closer in temperament to an oscar than the gourami he looks like now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users