sucker temperature tolerance

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hello. I am wondering how temperature tolerant suckers are. The species I have access to are mountain, white, & longnose, shorthead redhorse, golden redhorse, river carpsucker. The easy ones to get are the white sucker and golden redhorse. The aquarium can get to low 80's

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

mountain sucker - 9.75 inches
white sucker - 25 inches
longnose sucker - 25 inches
shorthead redhorse - 29.5 inches
golden redhorse - 30.5 inches
river carpsucker - 25 inches

I don't think temperature is the issue you should be concerned about. Looks to me like only one of these fish is a reasonable choice for a home aquarium.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Michael is absolutely right, and suckers are really finicky eaters that don't do well in most aquaria over a multi-year period. Cooler rather than warmer temperatures are good, suckers even more than most natives are often living at the upper edge of their thermal tolerance in much of their range.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

I've tried kept young white suckers and redhorses in aquariums but they always die due to starvation or due to infections from doing some water changes as uneaten foods fouling up the waters. Juveniles of most sucker species are not that hardy and you will be more concerned about other tank mates stealing all of the foods from the suckers. Chubsuckers seems that they are better suited for aquariums.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users