catching redfin pickerel in my area

29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

I usually do my research on where to/how to catch certain fish that are in my area. That natureserve webiste told me that there are redfin pickerel in my area. I have wanted to catch a pickerel since I watched someone catch one in canada on t.v.. I am a short walk away from the pidgeon river, but have probably access to other lakes/rivers in my area to about a half hour/45 minute tops driving distance away. I usually go on two lakes around here. Crystal Lake and Little Elkhart lake. I typically throw a twister tail on a jig and target the lmb. I have caught snake northern doing this also in the 10-18 inch range. Isn't this also the size of the average pickerel? So would this make the twistertail a good bait to throw? I have only once seen a pike in the pidgeon river once. It was about 15-16 inches long and was very spooked when we threw a few small lures at it so I never got a good look at it.

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

Seems like I remember a SE WI member posting about catching pickeral. I cannot quite remember who. It wasn't flamingo. Maybe he will chime in. I think a redfin would be quite a cool fish to have, but I know little about them.

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

Seems like I remember a SE WI member posting about catching pickeral. I cannot quite remember who. It wasn't flamingo. Maybe he will chime in. I think a redfin would be quite a cool fish to have, but I know little about them.

100% agree I might look into it when I move out and can setup how I like. Or maybe If I get anotehr tank for whever I don't have one. My first will either go in the basement or in my room.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

The NatureServe web site fails to make the distinction between the two subspecies of Esox Americanus: Esox Americanus Americanus (Redfin Pickerel) and Esox Americanus Vermiculatus (Grass Pickerel). It just goes by the main species and calls them all redfins. Redfin Pickerel are an east coast fish. West of the Appalacians, including Wisconsin of course, you will find grass pickerel. Redfins have a brown pattern with red fins. Grass pickerel have a green pattern; it can be so dark green that it looks black at times, and some body parts can be a pale green. They are strikingly beautiful fish. You will enjoy it very much if you find one. My grass pickerel is arguably my favorite fish. They typically max out at about nine inches, as I understand it, although mine is young and only about seven inches right now.

What is a "snake northern"?

#5 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

Sorry it's just kind of something we say here A snake northern Is a small northern usually like 12-25ish inches.Long and skinny.

So the grass pickerel is what I'm looking for then I take it? I'll look around for information about catching them in my area. If anyone knows any particular bodies of water and baits to use that would be great :)

#6 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

I know of a pond nere me that is full of small grass pickerels. I could get a few for you. :smile:

#7 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, that would be cool if I can't find any but I might not be getting another tank for a long time. I just thought it would be nice to know a spot where I could catch them. By the way, where is pewaukee?

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

Dear Zephead,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I have a friend that works for the Department of Natural Resources here in Wisconsin and he has explicitly told me that we (Wisconsinites) should not keep pickerel in our aquariums. The reason is this: for some reason, the pickerel has fallen through the regulatory "cracks" here in Wisconsin. The state does not consider the pickerel a game fish and it does not consider it a non-game fish. The pickerel has no designation in Wisconsin. This is odd, as there are Grass Pickerel in the state (I have caught them). So, my advice to you would be to avoid them. Sorry. :cry:

#9 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

Per my "Guide to Wisconsin Hook and Line Fishing Regulations 2007-2008" (page 13): (Which may not be definitive!) There are only 3 classifications of fish: rough fish, minnows, and game fish. Game fish are defined as all varieties of fish except for rough fish and minnows, so pickeral would have to be game fish. (As would sunfish!) I do not know if WI allows keeping of game fish without a permit. (Right now, shame on me, I have no natives.)

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Just go with the regulations, not with what some DNR person tells you. Read the actual text of the regulations, available online in most states. Those are what the officers are supposed to enforce. And if you are brought before a court, those regulations are what the judge is supposed to base his ruling on. ALWAYS use the ACTUAL and FULL text of the regulations, not just some summary document (like a guide).

Read those regulations for your state carefully. If you are not explicitly forbidden to have the fish, then you may have the fish. You must obtain it legally of course. If it is a sport fish in your state, you must catch it in the manner specified in your state regulations for sport fish. You can also obtain it from somebody else who obtained it legally, by begging or trading. You can also buy it from a vendor licensed in his state to sell such fish; there are a few of those here (see the "Commercial Vendors" section of the forum). If the person from whom you obtain it is not in your state, check to see if your state regulations prohibit importation of the species into your state before attempting to beg, trade, or buy. It is your responsibility to know your law, not his.

I'm guessing you can have a pickerel, if you catch it with a hook, or if you obtain it from someone else who obtained it legally. But that is only a guess. Read your regulations!

#11 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

So few people even know that grass pickerels exist! Why do these mini pikes have to be such a pain to get? I was getting all excited about getting some pickerel for my 150-gallon tank and now I might not beable to get any. :cry:

#12 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

...I might not beable to get any. :cry:

Did you read your regulations? What do they say? Why are you giving up?

#13 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I planned on catching it on hook and line if I could find them at all. They seem like a fun fish to pull out of the water.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

If it is not a restricted species in your state, and it has no classification, I would assume that as long as you follow the regulations for sportfish that you should be legal. In Ohio, Grass pickerel are also unclassified, therefore not legal to collect with a net, but legal to collect with hook and line. But please do not take my word for it, consult your state laws.

#15 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

I'll check when it get's closer to that time. I have to set up this first tank first. After that I might set up a second one for my basement which would have a pickerel or two in it. Me and my father spend a lot of time in the basement together. (computers/televisions/ect) We go fishing together a lot and he loves Pike fishing. I sorta think he would like a tank of small pike to keep us company :) .

P.S. Just to get this straight if I make a tank for pickerel it will probably be next year. I have to work on this tank first. And probably apply for another job if I don't get the one I currently applied for.

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Fish can only fall into one category. When in doubt check the regulations. If it's not a restricted species, then treat the fish as a sport fish/game fish (just to back up what Skipjack advises). I would make sure and follow the limit as if it were a northern pike just to be safe since the state may not distinguish between the two.

#17 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

Thanks :) . I'll keep you guys posted if we catch any of these guys fishing. Do you think a jig and twistertail or a beetle spin are good lures for them?

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Thanks :) . I'll keep you guys posted if we catch any of these guys fishing. Do you think a jig and twistertail or a beetle spin are good lures for them?

Barbless roostertail 1/16 oz. will cover a bunch of water or a simple barbless hook and a minnow should do fine. Any minnow imitator will do the job as long as it's the right size.

#19 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

And what is the right size. I have plenty minnow-like baits. My most targetted fish are lmb and black crappie with soft plastics. Green sunfish are always a nice catch too.

I can take a picture of the things I have maybe later. I have(had) plenty of jigs/plastics

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

We are talking less than two inches. I like the live minnow plan, preferably seined from the same location. Pickerel are often found in small water, and can be easy to spook, so the sit and wait approach that a live bait would provide might be more effective.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users