Keeping blackbanded sunfish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hello all. Getting a group of e.chaetodon sometime this week and was looking for recommendations as far as tank setup goes. I have several tanks to work with ranging from 10s and 15s to 40bs. I have them all set up on sponge filters as well as a drip system. I have a ton of plants to work with as well. So any suggestions on stocking density? Tankmates? They are captive bred and on flake already.

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

How many are you getting? I think a group of 6 in a 30Long would work nicely. Good that they're on flake as that's hard to do for Enneacanthus from what I've heard. Preferably keep the pH slightly acidic.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

I got them in today. Ended up getting 14. I have the in a 40 breeder now. There are 2 really small ones, but otherwise they look like adults/subadults. They are a bit skittish as to be expected, but seem to be warming up quickly.

I will probably end up moving them around if/when they decide to pair off or show any kind of territorial issues.

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

Well for breeding, sunfish don't pair up. I know Lepomis don't anyway but not sure on Enneacanthus . For Lepomis the male will excavate a nest as the water temperature rises and spawn with several females after which the females get chased away from the neet and the male guards the eggs and young fry.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

You will have to break them up so they're not so crowded.
They will calm down nicely and show themselves quite boldly when they settle in. Lots of plants and decoration help a lot there.

You won't see pair ups per say, but you will notice the males when they color up and start guarding a sheltered area. In a big tank with lots of hiding places, you have to watch closely as they WILL breed in there and it is totally possible to miss it.

I bred them through 3 generations before I got rid of them. All I did was keep half dozen together for awhile, feed lots of frozen and when a male started getting too obnoxious, I just removed everybody and low and behold, a week later fry would appear. Most times I never saw a true "nest" or much for breeding activity, it being mostly done on the sly.

#6 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thanks, sounds easy enough. I had some dollars breed in the past, but it was the same deal as you guys are describing, so kind of have an idea. I'll most likely split them up once I get a better idea of what's going on in the tank. I have a few tanks to work with so it shouldn't be too tough.

#7 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

I know this topic is a little over a month old but here is a very old post from when I bred these in an aquarium a few years back. These are still one of my favorite fish and I always have a few around... http://forum.nanfa.o...banded sunfish

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users