75 Gallon Native Tank

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

I have recently became interested in catfish and am wondering if there would be any that would be a good addition to my 75 gallon tank. Currently it is housing one 4 Inch Redfin Pickerel, 1 Green Sunfish, and 1 Longear. The sunfish are both around 3 Inches. My question is, is there room for a catfish in this tank and if so, what kind? Is there a big danger of it eating all of my fish or my fish eating it?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

Is there a big danger of it eating all of my fish...?

It's not a danger, it is a likelihood.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

It's not a danger, it is a likelihood.

Even one of the "smaller" species, like a Stonecat? I am not yet that familiar with catfish so am just trying to get all the information I can.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

I wasn't trying to be difficult. Its just that all catfish are predatory on everything that fits in their mouth. And they hunt at night while the other fish are asleep. So if you have a catfish that has a 1 inch wide mouth, they might very likely be able to swallow a 3 inch sunfish. And a pickerel is a long slender fish that is at risk as well.

So you might be able to make it work if the catfish is small enough, but catfish grow quickly, so I doubt that the set up would be sustainable. But there are some others here that have tried... maybe they will speak up and give you some more specifics... I wouldn't risk it.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

I wasn't trying to be difficult.

I didn't take it that way at all. I just started getting interested in them and was looking to see what others thought. I appreciate your comments and recommendations.

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Stonecat once your fish get larger if you like them and Margined Madtom would probably be good even now.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

noooooooo not the dreaded margined madtom... the fish eating machine....see the old thread

http://forum.nanfa.o...argined +madtom

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

I remember you telling me about your Margineds Michael :). I think the sunfish are a bit to tall bodied to get eaten though.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

you may be right... they were eating shiners when they got on my bad side... now I just deliver the shout out against them at every chance... teach them to cross me!

#10 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Haha, sounds like me with cichlids.

#11 Guest_Blaze85_*

Guest_Blaze85_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

Stonecat once your fish get larger if you like them and Margined Madtom would probably be good even now.

Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out how to get one.

#12 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the help, now I just have to figure out how to get one.

No problem. A trip to your local creek with a seine and or dipnet and a few hours might yield one or two.

#13 Freshwater13

Freshwater13
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

I have a very similar dilemma. My aquarium is a 135 gallon (long), I'm looking for a bottom feeder that can go with 3-Green Sunfish. I have heard from people in other forums that I may want to consider a Bullhead Catfish because of their smaller size. But I would like to get thoughts on that from the catfish experts on here.

Note: This will be a fish purchased from a provider such as; Jonah's Aquarium, Zimmerman's Fish, Smith Creek Fish Farm, Etc.

#14 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

It is all about size compatibility. I would contest that bullheads and larger madtoms make great tank mates for larger sunfish species. It is just all in keeping the sunfish and the bullhead close enough in size. Sunfish seem to know that catfish have spines and they leave them alone even when the sunfish are significantly larger. Also even rather large bullheads do not try to eat large (but yet smaller than them) sunfish if they are well fed and happy. I had two spotted bullheads in my 200 gallon sunfish tank last winter and they only ate the smallest sunfish in the tank. That one sunfish was a longear which really had no business being in there with all the larger sunfish. The bullheads were 8" and said longear was about 3". All the other larger 4-7" sunfish coexisted just fine with the bullheads. I used to have a large stonecat that lived in that tank too for about 4 years. It just lived inside a hollow log and it did not bother the sunfish and they did not bother it.

As Michael experienced catfish are much better at eating soft bodied narrow cyprinids. Some madtoms seem very anti fish eating though. I have had some species coexist very well in with smaller darters and cyrpinids and then others are just total bad news and destruction like the margined and stonecat. Brindled madtoms never seem to eat other fish when well cared for even though some of their tank mates seemingly would make an easy meal. Had similar experience with Ozark and Elegant madtoms also making good stream tank inhabitants. Tadpoles although relatively small were bad news for their neighbors even in the collection bucket!

So in summary it depends a lot on the situation and the size of the fish in question. Keeping tank mates similar in size helps a lot and knowing a little about the species and situation can also help.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#15 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

I have a very similar dilemma. My aquarium is a 135 gallon (long), I'm looking for a bottom feeder that can go with 3-Green Sunfish. I have heard from people in other forums that I may want to consider a Bullhead Catfish because of their smaller size. But I would like to get thoughts on that from the catfish experts on here.

Note: This will be a fish purchased from a provider such as; Jonah's Aquarium, Zimmerman's Fish, Smith Creek Fish Farm, Etc.

I wouldn't consider bullheads to be "small" but I can see how one would get that perception after comparing them to Ictalurus sps. They're definitely great vacuum cleaners and hardy enough to live with and be able to compete with for food with sunfish. One going to consider though is that they're extremely messy fish. I've got 3 catfish in my 75 gallon (1 Yellow Bullhead, 1 Gibbiceps Pleco, and 1 Striped Raph) and I just barely get by doing weekly 50% WCs. Just something to consider before getting one, they're great fish though and my biggest yellow bullhead is my favorite fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users