Algae identification.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have two different types of "algae"growing in my 20L stream tank. One I'm guessing is brown algae and the other I'm not even sure if it's a alage. The tank has a ton of flow and oxygen. Any help appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

I know you didn't ask, but to the same tone as "Honey badger don't care"....."Stoneroller don't care!" Perhaps they could help you with said algae.

My expert knowledge of algae would warrant the response of Brown-Fuzzy Algae and Green Stringy Algae.

I think it makes your tank look natural. Do you plan on keeping it, or is your next question how to get rid of it?
Nick L.

#3 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

I remove it from the glass and some off the 3d background. I have been keeping all the green stringy algae. I do like the natural look. A stone roller might do the trick. I'm guessing they like most algae?

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

They certainly have their favorites--I see them do the most work on brown, diatomaceous algae that grows quickly and covers everything in my tanks. But you won't know until you try! If nothing else, it gives you a reason to collect more fish. Stonerollers are a great addition regardless if they are cleaning your tank or not. Just my 2 cents.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

I've never seen any fish or invert that will reliably eat blue-green slime algae or Cyanobacteria (Oscillatoria, Phormidium, and relatives). Your purplish-brown algae might be that; the photo is too blurry to tell, I'm just guessing based on the color. They can look dark green to bluish to blackish to reddish, depending on light, water parameters, and age of the algae. The green stringy one could be a Cladophora, but there are other possibilities.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Stonerollers love the brown diatomaceous in my experience as well. It is entertaining to watch them ram the algae with their scraper like bottom jaw. They are pretty peaceful as well. Worthwhile addition for sure.

#7 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

flaggies love that stringy stuff

#8 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

The 20L Is currently home to 9 darters,2 elegant madtoms, two juvenile bluegill and a few mosquito fish. They all look very healthy. The bluegill can be moved asap but I'm afraid any more bottom feeders will overcrowd it. What do you guys think?
Here are a couple more pictures of the algae and the setup.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Since the tank has no other live plants, I would let the algae grow for its water quality benefits.

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Darters are pretty peaceful with one another, and towards other benthic species. I wouldn't worry about adding a few small Stonerollers if that is what your question about overcrowding was aimed towards.
Nick L.

#11 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

I added two small stone rollers last night and they seem right at home. Thanks for the advice!

#12 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Since the tank has no other live plants, I would let the algae grow for its water quality benefits.

I definitely plan on leaving some I just don't want it to become over ran.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users