Photo

Porterdale, Georgia - Rivers Alive

7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

Today, NANFA Georgia participated in a Rivers Alive event in Porterdale, Georgia on the Yellow River (an Ocmulgee River trib). These are clean the stream events held by local organizations and our name has gotten out after we have shown up at several of these over the past few years and collected fish and talked to people about what is under the water while tey are cleaning the stream bank. The folks at Porterdale had a great location and even provided a small tent to help keep the sun off me and keep the fish cool (yes, that is even a concern in October down here).

Posted Image
John Duktig and I collected for only about 20-30 minutes and came up with seven species.
Posted Image

Unfortunately, I learned (again) that you cannot have a little four inch bass in a tank of three inch shiners... the bass apparently suffered no collection stress and just made himself at home.
Posted Image
(a small spotted bass I think if anyone wants to confirm my ID it would be appreciated) extra pic of him at this link.

we also had bluegill, no picture here, and this guy and is ear also showed up
Posted Image

We are in Georgia and John and I kicked some woody debris, so of course this guy made and appearance much to everyone's delight (river cleaners love to know they have darters)
Posted Image

We also had Spotail Shiners and both of Georgia's endemic Cyprinella... that's right folks, found no where but here in GA!

Altamaha Shiner
Posted Image

and Ocmulgee Shiner
Posted Image
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

Excellent!

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Good job!

#4 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Nice. Thanks, Michael.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

That Ocmulgee shiner looks delicate for a cyprinella. Very cool.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

they are definitely in the "small Cyprinella" category while the Altamaha's are in the fiery black / Alabama / boss Cyprinella category.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Great job, Michael. We're lucky to have ya!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Guest_ShoalBandit_*

Guest_ShoalBandit_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

(a small spotted bass I think if anyone wants to confirm my ID it would be appreciated)

Alabama bass (formerly Alabama spotted bass) but most people still call them 'spotted bass'. They were illegally introduced to the system in the 1980's presumably from the Lanier population (which is also introduced).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users