Damnbusia article

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Here is a link to an article on the spread of mosquitofish (damnbusia) that came out recently.

http://www.onearth.o...ng-fish-problem

Cheers
Peter

#2 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

Well done article summarizing the danger of dropping fish from the sky willy nilly.

#3 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

was in a fish store last week looking at feeder tank amongst the gambusia and guppies was a nondescript looking minnow, manager said it was accidental catch originally planted for mosquito cntrol by state , guess they are finally figuring out the danger of dambusia

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

A problem I see with overall approach to mosquito fish is that they are being vilified even in areas they are native to because of all the negative press associated with invasive populations.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Villification doesn't much matter to Gambusia, they're not going away soon. I saw a talk at the Poeciliid Biology meeting in Exeter, England, last month by Ashley Ward, an English biologist who's now in Australia. His work is largely on the adaptability of introduced Gambusia because of their sociality in Australia, and they've colonized a large swath of at least southeastern Australia in and around Sydney. It's an admirably tough species, whether holbrooki or affinis.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

Tough species. You said it Bruce. After Armageddon it is cockroaches, gambusia, and Keith Richards repopulating the world.

#7 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

A problem I see with overall approach to mosquito fish is that they are being vilified even in areas they are native to because of all the negative press associated with invasive populations.

I do agree, but the folks stocking them around the place pay little attention to this. They treat them as native to a state and spread them all over that state which greatly expands their ranges into places, and with fishes that have never co-existed (like Barron's Topminnow in TN).

Cheers
Peter

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

I do agree, but the folks stocking them around the place pay little attention to this. They treat them as native to a state and spread them all over that state which greatly expands their ranges into places, and with fishes that have never co-existed (like Barron's Topminnow in TN).

Cheers
Peter

Also every fish hatchery that sells to the public carries them nowadays. People are set to be bucket biologists. Heck I put them in my 1/4 acre pond. Of course I caught them locally from the introduced population in a stream a couple miles away. They are in so many streams around here now that the damage is done. The state is not responsible for stocking them, but they are responsible for not regulating them. I didn't stock them for mosquito control, rather for building my food chain. They seem to hang on and reproduce in my pond much better than any shiners that I have tried.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users