really silly question

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Have any of you been "stung" by a madtom? I have been lucky so far, but am wondering what it could be equated to?
Wasp? Worse?.

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:18 AM

I've been hit by Noturus leptacanthus and it was not as bad as a wasp. The worst catfish I have been stung by is the hardhead catfish, Arius felis, it sucks bad.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

I have been lucky enough to be stung by all 3 of our native madtoms, speckled, margined and tadpole. The speckled and margined are not that bad, sort of a fire ant type pain, but the tadpole is a whole other story. This definitely feels like a wasp sting. I have heard of people having quite a bit of swelling and een being light-headed after being stung by a tadpole.

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

Note to self, treat gyrinus with care. Thanks for the heads up on that.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

I've only been "stuck" by Tadpole as far as the madtoms go and only once. It was a very small fish buried in the weed mass in my dip net. It got me in the thumb, my whole hand felt very bad (sore) but the effects could be felt up to my elbow. I'm not sure how long it lasted but it lasted longer than I wanted. My heart rate eleveated (even though I wasn't concerned). I've been very careful around all madtoms after that experience.

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

That sounds kinda like a hardhead sting, intense pain at the sting site and deep pain up the arm.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have read that the tadpoles do in fact have the worse sting of all the madtoms and that madtoms in general have the worse sting of all the Ictalurids, compairable to a hornet sting. I have seven tadpole madtoms, I'm sure I'll get stung sooner or later and when I do I'll let ya'll know.

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

yeah dustin is right tadpole madtoms
hurt giant hornet

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

wow I'm glad I poked in here. I was up on the Clinch this weekend for some mussel work and we were getting madtoms quite frequently by either kicking shells and mussels into dipnets or just flipping them up and in. I've handled or touched probably 200 mountain madtoms over the past year and not been stuck. This includes while blindly grabbing riverweed or water star cress while pulling myself upstream and putting my hand right over them. Well I had one in my net with some shells and dumped my shells out on the bank and wanted to get my tag along fish back in the water before he got beat up. Well the bastard stung me. It barely drew blood but this was the most concentrated possibly worst pain I have ever felt. The only thing I could equate it to was if my hand was on a table and someone hit my finger tip with an 10lb sledge. It only hurt from the knuckle to the tip but it was throbbing, burning, swollen, it was intense. I had to sit down for about 5 minutes and hold my finger in about 15 C water. It just went away in about 2 hours but wow that wasn't fun. I'm guessing it was a mountain madtom again, it was a little big to be a pygmy and didn't really look much like a yellow fin, and I was finding them quite too commonly.

I've not been stung by a hornet, but I got stung by about 15+ yellow jackets last year trout fishing near the Tellico River and those weren't as bad as this pain was, regardless of it only hurting about 2 inches of my body.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

A madtom stung me
On the ball of my right thumb.
He's dead and sorry.

(from the last issue of A/C)

#11 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

I was stuck by a small madtom once doing field work and and can corroborate teleost's experience. Not particularly pleasant, but worse things could happen.

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

Not particularly pleasant, but worse things could happen.

In other words, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye?

#13 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:50 PM

Not particularly pleasant, but worse things could happen.

In other words, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye?

Yeah, pretty much :P I've been hit by a small stingray before so my scale of pain is a bit skewed....

#14 Guest_johnpritzlaff_*

Guest_johnpritzlaff_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:42 AM

Didn't want to feel left out: my mom got stung my a bullhead once. She said it barely hurt at all. She's lucky it wasn't a madtom.

Can you get stung by any fin? My mom got stung by the dorsal.

#15 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

I've been stuck by Slender madtoms a few times and it hurts like hell. Feels like a bee sting and then you can feel it go up your arm a small ways. One time my hand was swollen up slightly for a couple hours. The one that hurt the most though was a juvenile blue cat. It lasted longer than any of the slender madtom stings I've experienced.

#16 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

Didn't want to feel left out: my mom got stung my a bullhead once. She said it barely hurt at all. She's lucky it wasn't a madtom.

Can you get stung by any fin? My mom got stung by the dorsal.

Usually the pectorals are the stingers. It seems to me that someone once posted a link (in this forum???) to a medical journal article on care and treatment of madtom stings, but I have lost it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users