Bluespotted Sunfish Success

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

This April I got six Bluespotted Sunfish (Enneacanthus gloriosus) from Stephen (our friend here sbtgrfan). These are SC fish without specific location data. I brought them home and set them up in one of my backyard "ponds". I have talked about these before, but a quick description. They are 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks. This one was totally emptied and wiped down with hydrogen peroxide before being refilled and with "Prime" treated water and some water lilies that had been in there before. The water in this tank got pretty green and I remember reading that breeding success was reduced with Enneacanthus that could not see each other. So I added some hornwort and the water seemed to clear up.

Today I took the plants out and swept the tank repeatedly with my perfect dipnet to find, that if you start with this...
Posted Image

add water and plants, and occasionally food (but not really). You might end up with 19 of these:
Posted Image

I kept a handful aside to bring into a small swampy bowfront aquarium in the house, and put the rest back in the tank, assuming that they will be hardy enough to survive the Georgia winter and maybe make more next year. So chalk another one up to the back yard stock tank! Thanks Stephen!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Nice job, Michael! This is encouraging, I would really like to try out one of the Enneacanthus in my tanks and pond!

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Congrats, Michael. That's fun stuff!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

Most excellent. To quote Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park, "Life....uhh....uhh....finds a way".
Nick L.

#5 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Awesome Michael! So cool to see that happen.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users