New native fishkeeper here, from Baltimore MD.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bigmouthbilly_*

Guest_bigmouthbilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

'Ello. My name's Jasper. I'm 21 yrs old and new to keeping fish, although I've always enjoyed fishing.

I recently got a long 55 gallon aquarium off Craigslist and a Model EX70 filtration system from Petco, and 'scaped it with wood and stones that I foraged from a nearby streambed plus some weeds from a local koi pond (Hydrilla verticillata, maybe). Then I went to Lake Roland, found an out of the way spot on the far side of the lake past the lightrail, threw a line 10 feet into the water and immediately started catching Bluegill. I took two small females home for the tank:

bluegills.jpg

I'm happy with my aquarium thus-far, but I feel like something's missing... some madtoms maybe, if I can find any.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the hobby, and I've learned a lot just perusing this forum. If anyone has any suggestions for companions to my bluegills, or has any advice in general, comment or send me a message. Thanks!

Edited by bigmouthbilly, 26 October 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#2 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

Welcome! That looks like a great aquascape.

#3 Guest_bigmouthbilly_*

Guest_bigmouthbilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks!

#4 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Welcome, Im up in Aberdeen, MD. My Wife works at the Inner Harbor. Very close to the aquarium.

Edited by njJohn, 28 October 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#5 Guest_powerguy85_*

Guest_powerguy85_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm a first time native keeper too, from northern VA. Actually, I don't have the fish yet, but soon. I'm going with pumpkinseeds. Enjoy, hope we can interact more.

#6 Guest_powerguy85_*

Guest_powerguy85_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

NotCousteau,

I know you from plantedtank, I go by knm<>< over there. I'm here on your recommendation. Thanks for that by the way. I'm definitely going in this direction.

Edited by powerguy85, 01 November 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#7 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Yep, that's me. Welcome to NANFA and the world of natives!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users