Photo

darter interaction

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

If you saw my post about my trip to the SC mountains today you know I encountered many darters. I kept a handful of them, seagreens and Carolina fantails, for my 55.

I've been watching them settle in, and have noticed a behavior I haven't seen in a little bit, but have seen before and wondered at. Etheostoma darters seem to have a thing for approaching each other and placing their head on another darter's head. I surmise it is some kind of territorial/dominance display because it only seems to happen when new darters are mixed together or when new darters are introduced into an established tank. It doesn't appear particularly violent, as the darter who initiates contact does not otherwise touch or display toward the other darter, and the recipient darter doesn't seem to alter behavior or location at all. Weird; to me anyway. I don't notice my Percinas doing it, but I suppose they might.

Has anybody else noticed this? Is it a common behavior for darters and I just don't know about it?

FWIW- the darters in question are E. hopkinsi, in particular. (Of course... :) ) Thinking more on it, they are the only darters I can specifically recall intiating this contact, but I have seen them do it with E. thalassinum, and E. inscriptum, as well as themselves. I want to say E. inscriptum do it a little, but they also very definitely display and actively chase off unwelcome intruders. So to say all Etheostoma do it is definitely not the most defensible statement on my part. Hopkinsi, yes; all Etheostoma, no.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hopkinsi are much smaller than the inscriptum/thalassinum right? Are they the ones inititating this contact? I'm not sure I understand who is being dominant... I might suspect that the established smaller hopkinsi are just trying to take the one advantage they have while the newbies are disoriented to establish a little ground rules... but it will not work, the turquoise/seagreeens will bully them around in just a little bit and eat all the snails out of the tank in a matter of days.

Tell me again what they are really doing.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

That is a pretty interesting observation, Matt. Not having worked with any of those species I can't say that I've seen anything like that. If I have seen it, I probably didn't think anything more than it being a coincidence....NOT to invalidate your observations. I have a group of about 8, ~1.5" Snubnose who pace back and forth across the front glass (while waiting for food) who casually bump into one another and may periodically rest while maintaining contact. I should probably sit around longer and watch them long enough such that they go about their normal business--to see if I notice those behaviors.

Any dominance behaviors I do see are typical, aggression-based displays, chasing, and nips. I've had some pretty good fights between rufilineatum that resulted in the subordinate males losing an eye.
Nick L.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Nick, it may just be coincidence, I don't know. It isn't an "all the time" behavior, usually one that occurs when fish new to each other are mixed or when tank furniture gets rearranged. That's what had me thinking it may be territorial. But it never seems threatening- it's almost more of a "getting to know you thing". But I just can't imagine any fish ever rolling out the welcome wagon; so it's back to assuming somehow it's territorial. Considering there is usually a fair number of darters in the tank, mostly but nowhere near all E. hopkinsi, the hubub of adding new fish or rearranging the tank may just have them out of their routine, running around more than normal, and in physical contact more than normal. But the incident that got me to finally ask about this was no accident; so at least in that case it wasn't a matter of a clumsy hopkinsi running into another fish. Also, the fact that every time I've noticed it the contact has been head to head, not head to midsection or head to tail, etc. has me thinking it's intentional.

Michael, I didn't do the best job describing that, did I? I'll try to be a little more specific. My 55 has a large pile of medium sized rocks under the outflow of my hob. A current generating "fan" adds considerably to the water movement. It's a little bit rough under there. The other end is an open, sandy bottom. No plants. A reasonable current, but not as vigorous as under the outflows.

Yesterday morning the darter population consisted of E. hopkinsi, in a fairly large number; one decent sized E. inscriptum, and a P. crassus. You are correct in that nobody messes with the inscriptum. Every once in a while he flares up and chases somebody else away from his favorite area; so it's obvious when he's being aggressive and just what it is that has him miffed. He likes his space. The hopkinsi on the other hand have always been more social, with other hopkinsi of the same size. The smaller ones in particular will hang out in pretty close company, often times touching. Whether this is normal or the result of living in an artificial environment, I have no idea. (Need to get some snorkelers on it! :) ) While small ones engage in this the most, large ones do every once in a while.

Yesterday evening I introduced four thalassium of sizes varying from smallish to Big. Also introduced four small flabellare/brevispinum. The fantails promptly headed for the rockpile and haven't been seen since. The thalassinum spent a good deal of time scampering around the rocks, probably failing in an effort to try to find familiarity and a sense of security. All the previous inhabitants were much more energetic and mobile than normal as a result of all the activity. One thalassinum, easily at the top of their size range, is currently the biggest darter in the tank. He settled down fairly quickly, while the other seagreens kept flailing about. He found a spot in the current, with a little bit of floor space and rock raising up above him on three sides. A smallish hopkinsi was on the very outskirts of this "hole", on the leeward of a rock. After the seagreen had settled in, this hopkinsi (who was much smaller than the seagreen) swam directly to the seagreen's head and placed its head on top of it. (To be clear, the hopkinsi initiated the contact, intentionally, by placing its head on top of the seagreen's.) It was kinda funny because the Christmas darter had to stretch a bit to get its head up there! No further action took place after this contact. They remained like this for half a minute or so, and then the hopkinsi backed off to its original place.

As of this morning, the thalassinum is no longer in that spot, but has found another one in the corner of the tank where the current blows through. It will be interesting to see what happens at feeding time if he remains there; it is a favorite spot of about five hopkinsi who are on the lower end of the size/dominance scale for their species in my tank.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

It definitely sounds like an intentional maneuver on behalf of the Christmas darter. What it means?....beats me. Perhaps a formal welcome to the community? Telekinesis through head touching? Sounds like a good thesis project and good excuse to spend a few hundred hours in the water watching their natural behavior.

Most of the Percina species I've seen chase one another for a second. My guess in part to the fact that they are on the move quite a bit while swimming off the bottom....rarely calling 'dibs' on a custom rock-cave like a captive Etheostoma sp. will. I could see how Etheostoma might have other forms of dominance/territoriality due to their bottom dwelling nature.
Nick L.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Well now I totally understand what you saw. But understand what it means, no. But it does make me think that it has to do with the claiming of space in a new community of fish.

Really interesting.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

The darters I got Sunday did that with each other when I put them in the tank. There was no other fish in the tank before I introduced them and since it's a new environment I guess hey were staking out territories. Like you stated there was no violence at all and often the Greensides and banded would just go sit on top of another darter until the bottom one moved. The species I got were 2 rainbows, 2 Greensides, 2 variegates, and 1 banded in a 30Long.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#8 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

I have noticed rainbow darters I kept would sit on top of one another, but I don't remember it being specifically head on head on head contact. It seemed more like they just wanted to sit in an already occupied spot so just sat on the other darter. I kept fantails with them as well, but don't recall if they ever joined in on this behavior.

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Head-on-head sounds similar to the mounting behavior that many gravel-spawning darters do to initiate spawning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users