Photo

Big Sur River snorkel?

3 replies to this topic

#1 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

I went to California a little while back to visit some friends, and we drove up the 1 all the way to Santa Cruz from Ventura, and stopped at many places along the way. We stopped at a little resort on the 1 called Fernwood Resort. A part of the Big Sur river ran through it, in the back, through a forest of redwood trees. It was stunningly beautiful. I noticed when we came to the river, that it was cold and clear, and had river stones on the bottom. That day I was kicking myself for not bringing my wetsuit, mask, fins and snorkel with me. This leads to my question, Has any of you ever snorkeled the Big Sur river? I know I want to go back and do it. If so, what species of fish inhabit the river? Any collecting from the Big Sur?

Edited by brannon, 12 November 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

The short answer to your question is probably not. We don't have many members on the West coast. I visited central California (where I grew up) this summer and did get to spend about two hours snorkeling in the American River in Sacramento. I saw maybe 6 or 8 fish species in that time, whereas the eastern 2/3 of the country, it's not unreasonable to get that many species in one seine haul. There are many many fewer species of fish on that side of the country, but there are certainly some cool ones. Tons to enjoy if you enjoy salmonids and sculpin, but diversity in other categories is lacking a bit.

Also, no collecting in California. I'm pretty sure any wild fish caught in California is illegal to transport alive, effectively killing any hope of keeping California fish species in aquaria.

#3 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Cool, thanks, just curious. American River, have to look that one up....

#4 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Ok, just got a visual (on line) of the American River. Beautiful....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users