bluehead chub

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

I have just captured what I believe to be a river or bluehead chub and I was wondering if you can mantain one by its self in a 29g or a 55g. The chub is 5 inches long and I believe is a male

#2 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

It may not be the happiest fish ever but I don't see why you wouldn't be able too.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

You will want to properly ID it as the bluehead chub gets bigger than the river chub.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

You will want to properly ID it as the bluehead chub gets bigger than the river chub.

just did its a bluehead I captured it up in WNC with a plant pot but do I need to go down and try to get some more or will it be fine by its self

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hey Killier,

I have kept blueheads rather often... one of my favorites really... particularly once they get to be about 6 or so inches long, they really brass up and start getting a steelish blue grey head that they pretty much keep all the time... nothing as magnificent as the bright blue of breeding colors, but still a really nice looking fish... and peaceful, etc.

I have a small on ina 35 gallon breeder tank with a handful of yellowfins and a few rescue darters (mostly swamps I think)a nd they really are a schooling fish. Are usually found in mixed schools in the wild. You would do well to put some shiners in with him. I would think a 55 would be fine for a small group of shiners darters and a bluehead.

How big is it now would you say?

MW

just did its a bluehead I captured it up in WNC with a plant pot but do I need to go down and try to get some more or will it be fine by its self

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hey Killier,

I have kept blueheads rather often... one of my favorites really... particularly once they get to be about 6 or so inches long, they really brass up and start getting a steelish blue grey head that they pretty much keep all the time... nothing as magnificent as the bright blue of breeding colors, but still a really nice looking fish... and peaceful, etc.

I have a small on ina 35 gallon breeder tank with a handful of yellowfins and a few rescue darters (mostly swamps I think)a nd they really are a schooling fish. Are usually found in mixed schools in the wild. You would do well to put some shiners in with him. I would think a 55 would be fine for a small group of shiners darters and a bluehead.

How big is it now would you say?

MW

5 inches now and it is in with rosey reds and rainbowfish

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

my chubs had an annoying habit of eating my shiners...be aware that they do have fairly large mouths.

#8 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:23 AM

my chubs had an annoying habit of eating my shiners...be aware that they do have fairly large mouths.

Stonecats have an annoying habit of eating chubs. At least ours do.

Bill F.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

Stonecats have an annoying habit of eating chubs. At least ours do.

Bill F.

My bowfin will eat your stonecat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users