Freshwater shrimp in the Chunky River

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

I remember going to the Chunky river(in Enterprise MS) when I was a kid,(back in the early 70s) swimming and canoeing the river with my family and friends. The river is pretty clear. I remember finding a critter, which to us looked like a shrimp, but we were not sure, because we were all ignorant, and did not know that YES, there was a such a thing as a freshwater shrimp. So, I captured it, and put it in a little tank, and brought it back home. (I know, i should have left it in its habitat, I know, I feel so bad about that now, loooking back on it). But later, we found out, that it was indeed a freshwater shrimp. Now, I just observe animals in their habitat, and leave them be. DUH!

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Yup there are freshwater Palaemonetes (grass shrimp, ghost shrimp) over much of the eastern USA. Also Macrobrachium (long-arm shrimp) in some areas. In MS you could have had both. They do pretty well in aquariums.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Im trying to remember what I did with the shrimp. I think I let it go in a nearby creek or pond. I cant remember. I know I let it go somewhere, some body of water. I just wish I would have left it back in the river where it came from. Live and learn....

#4 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

Mayby the poor thing survived after being relocated from his home.

#5 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

I found aton of ghost shrimp when I went fishing and dip netted like 25 of them, and. Most have red outline types things.
And I found a awesome looking shrimp that was small and brown ish color with dark brown to almost black lines, I think I put it in my bucket but it may have gotten outthe aide when I was going to my bucket.

#6 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

Be careful of the awesome looking ones. Sometimes they grow into 6-10 inch Macrobrachium and eat all your fish :-({|=

#7 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

The Chunky River had great catfish, my grandmother's farm was along one bank of it in Newton County, MS. But I never noticed the shrimps when I was 11...
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#8 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, back then(early-mid 1970s) we did not know anything about shrimp, but that they swam in the ocean, and tasted good, fried, grilled, and dipped in hot butter. We were not aware of freshwater shrimp. We were amazed and baffled at the time....Go figure, Ha.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users