Asian Clams

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

When I got them they were lodged in some plants and I didn't see them, but I have seen these types in florida a lot but they didn't look invasive or like declining where I got them.
But asian clams are invasive so I don't know why u are cracking down on me for keeping 2 mussels.

This forum will not allow you to post about illegal activities. We have a responsibility to support legal and ethical behavior in respect to all things relating to the inhabitants of our native waters. Please do not break any laws, and please do not post about any illegal activities. I am not aware of the laws in every members state, but please make sure that you are aware of your state laws and are following them.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

This forum will not allow you to post about illegal activities. We have a responsibility to support legal and ethical behavior in respect to all things relating to the inhabitants of our native waters. Please do not break any laws, and please do not post about any illegal activities. I am not aware of the laws in every members state, but please make sure that you are aware of your state laws and are following them.

I agree, mussels are under pressure from many fronts, pollution, habitat loss and competition from invasive species. I collected Asian clams at least party for those reasons, their small size being a consideration as well.

Someone said something about the invasive mussels and why would anyone want to keep them... if they weren't such a danger I think it would be at least an interesting oddity to have them in a freshwater aquarium, of course I have set up freshwater tanks with lots of odd invertebrates over the years from green sponges to green hydra to large colonies of bryozoans. In some ways fresh (dirty and already water logged) bogwood is similar to live rock in a marine aquarium, lots of interesting hitch hikers!

We keep native fish completely at the whim of the government and our sources can be cut off at anytime by easily passed laws. We should strive to follow the laws as closely as possible and educate our selves so we don't inadvertently cause problems.

We should strive to at least be part of the solution rather than part of the problem..

Oh yeah, to answer my own question:

http://www.ask.com/p...123b1a8f25e2da0
Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#23 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

In my experience. I've very successfully kept mussels outside during the summer in several of my "bin-ponds" that never really got water changes since they only included mussels, snails, and plants. Because of this lack of WCs, there was always plenty of suspended matter and often the bottom was not visible. A few weeks ago when I took the bins in for the year and went to drain the water, I noticed that the 3 mussels I added became about 3 dozen mussels! However a few days after adding fresh water and currently having the bins inside, every last mussel had died off because of the lack of microorganisms in the water.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#24 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

Sean, I'm sure you meant no harm, but it's very important to know and follow your state's regulations. As Michael said, it's also an important rule of this forum to not post about illegal activities. A quick internet search reveals that all freshwater mussels are protected in PA. The rules are similar in many other states. Mussels are a hot button issue since as a group they are in so much trouble (and there are many listed species), so it's best to just leave them alone. In my home river, it's technically illegal to even touch them, and that rule even extends to asian clams because of their similarity.

#25 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

Sean, I'm sure you meant no harm, but it's very important to know and follow your state's regulations. As Michael said, it's also an important rule of this forum to not post about illegal activities. A quick internet search reveals that all freshwater mussels are protected in PA. The rules are similar in many other states. Mussels are a hot button issue since as a group they are in so much trouble (and there are many listed species), so it's best to just leave them alone. In my home river, it's technically illegal to even touch them, and that rule even extends to asian clams because of their similarity.

Oh sorry. I didn't mean to harvest them either. It's very difficult to not scoop up one or two by accident in my local creek when I'm getting gravel for my tanks, that's how I got those three.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#26 dac343

dac343
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

If they reproduced and he didn't have any possible hosts more than likely the "mussels" are asian clams or zebra mussels.
David Cravens

#27 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

Found out the mussels I accidentaly collected are ones people collect and eat, and they re native and arent endagered or anything.

#28 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

Can you post a picture of them?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#29 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

http://myfwc.com/fis...ations/mussels/
Nick L.

#30 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

Its the florida shiny spike.

#31 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Something has started eating my Asian clams, empty shells are beginning to litter the surface of the sand, I'm not sure who is eating them. At the moment I am tending towards the Canna snails but I have yet to catch the culprit in the act..
Michael

#32 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

They are dieing most likely.

#33 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

They are dieing most likely.

No, I haven't had them long enough for them to die and they are in a green water tank, the ones i put in another tank with no canna snails are still alive and kicking..
Michael

#34 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thinking we need a blanket rule of no discussion of captive mussels. Corbicula, sure we can all ID them, but how many of us are actually good with mussels. Also they are so endangered and so illegal to possess in so many places. We should simply ID them stream side and keep it at that. Not saying we need to actually make a rule, though maybe we should, but it sure does not represent NANFA well to state and fed agencies. It looks awful when we say, "I have mussels in my tank" "Oh yeah, what species?" "dunno" then the conversation goes to whether they are legal, and of course without knowing the species it is another "dunno". I am not liking it.

Sorry Michael for jumping in your thread here, assuming you have collected Corbicula.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#35 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

I agree with your thoughts Matt.

#36 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

I agree with Matt

Also, don't get offended. I got jumped on to when I first started with natives for bringing home empty shells to use for decor. While that's not illegal, the point is you can't prove if you brought them home dead or alive.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#37 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Not offended at all, I know what I am collecting and i agree we need to make sure everyone knows not to collect mussels randomly with out knowing what they are. Probably more to the point don't collect them at all, I remember growing up in WV on the Poca river finding clams that were close to a foot long, huge beds of them, then a gas well blow out released a huge wave of salt water into the river and very nearly killed everything. The clams all died, now 50 years later i recently had a cousin tell me the clams were just starting to make a come back, 50 years!

I like the Asian clams because they are small and relatively easy to keep, they are so common in Sutton lake I got a gallon of them with just three swipes of a net. I wonder if they make good chowder?
Michael

#38 dac343

dac343
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

I wonder if they make good chowder?

They are eaten in several cultures and in some places introduced as a food source long ago. Doesn't necessarily mean they are that tasty though lol.
David Cravens

#39 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

I wonder if they make good chowder?

... probably good enough for a guy like you |;>)

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#40 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

... probably good enough for a guy like you |;>)

Considering where I grew up and what we ate regularly don't think for moment I would hesitate to eat them, kinda small though, be a pain picking them out..
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users