ID my sunfish

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

Can someone tell me how to post pictures on here?

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Can someone tell me how to post pictures on here?

Browse to the picture and click the "Upload" button. Once it's uploaded, insert using the "Manage Current Attachments" dropdown box. These are at the bottom of the editor screen.

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Here they are, You may not be able to see it but there is a black spot on the tail.

hehe in the backround you can see my basses fretboard and myprotein jug and probably the creatine jug somewhere.

Attached Files

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Not the clearest of photos, but I think you are correct.

#5 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks skipjack. I couldn't get better photos. These were taken with my father's digital camera. The Camera takes wonderful photos from farther away. But it is an older camera and the older digital camera's I've seen tend to have issues with closer photos.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

looks like a green sunfish

#7 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:45 PM

Huge mouth. That = Green.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Here they are, You may not be able to see it but there is a black spot on the tail.

You're right, I can't see it. Do you mean black spot on anal fin? Black spot on dorsal fin could be bluegill or green sunfish. Black spot on dorsal and anal fins means green sunfish.

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

On the anal fin. Thanks for the help. I assumed it was green but would rather know for sure. I can't wait to get the big tank though. That fish is bullying the smaller one.

#10 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Its a bully? Well that confirms it, its a green!

#11 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

does anyon e know how to tell the sexes of these fish appart?

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

they are too small, green sunfish even as adults are not that easy to separate males and females. I mainly would rely on behavior in the tank as adults to sex them.

#13 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

There is a larger lighter colred one and it bullies the smaller darker one. They both pretty much have the same pattern/ SOrry I wasn't thinking correct the black spot is on the top dordal. The smaller one hasn't developed one but the larger one's only appeared 2 days ago.

BTW: I can't wait for a larger tank to seperate them in. The smaller ones tail doesn't look so good :\

#14 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

Green sunfish !! On a young green sunfish such as one this size, the spots on the dorsal and anal fins are usually not developed yet. They must have a little more size on them before that field mark shows up. Young green sunfish are longer and more bass shape like the one you have here and the fins are red as this one. The spots like I said are there sometimes but most times not on a green sunfish this young. And the mouth if opened will be larger than the average sunfish.

#15 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

So this is a "pure green sunfish and deffinately not a bluegill hybrid that are commonly stocked in lakes?

I need to know before I go back to that collection site.

#16 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, I would say it's a pure green.

#17 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

ok I'm going to collect another one this weekend then hopefully :)

#18 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

ok I'm going to collect another one this weekend then hopefully :)

There is something about the green sunfish that makes it my favorite. It does not have the color or the prettier sunnies but if you watch them they will come to the front of the tank and look at you and they are trainable. I would feed mine left over crickets from fishing. I would wave the cricket in front of the tank and he would go nuts. Then I would hold the cricket above the water. Once he jumped to catch the cricket from my hand as usuall but this time he overshot the tank and ended up on the carpet. Very nice fish greens are.

#19 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

Then I would hold the cricket above the water. Once he jumped to catch the cricket from my hand as usuall but this time he overshot the tank and ended up on the carpet. Very nice fish greens are.

Watch out for those jumping fish. My boy was feeding my sunfish some worms and he was trying to get them to jump. Well the green finally did but missed the worm and latched onto my boys finger. The next thing I see is my fish flying across the room. :shock:
After seeing that I don't let my fish jump anymore plus I don't want them jumping out of the tank.
And my green also has the most personality of all my sunfish.

#20 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

They are my favorite as well. THe only other fish I can compare them too is a rockbass. FIrst time I caught one It hit me right away with the similarities. It even cunvulsed in my hand when I too kthe hook off like a rockbass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users