Photo

bluebreast darters in Illinois

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Earlier in the fall, natureman187 and I met up for a leisurely day checking out a couple of east-central Illinois rivers. One cool species we found was bluebreast darter, and they were a county over from their historical range. It's good to see them doing well! Being state endangered, we of course handled them carefully and released them quickly after taking a few photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Without giving away the specific location where we found them, here is their historical range.
Posted Image

#2 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Considering how common they are in the Vermilion River in the eastern portion of the state, their known historical distribution, I'm not surprised that they would be found elsewhere. Several years ago, I saw them being used as live bait by some fishermen on that river, so a bait bucket introduction might be the source. Please let Jeremy Tiemann or other Illinois Natural History Survey researcher know of your find.

Phil Nixon

#3 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up Phil. I just sent Jeremy an email.

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

a.very.cool.darter.!

Make sure to go back and catch some in the spring when they are all jazzed up! They are on my list of ~250 favorite darter species.
Nick L.

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

Cool fish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users