• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

1. are tangerine darters legal to keep?

2. If 1 is a yes, does anyone live near them?

3. How do crystal darters act in an aquarium?

4 what is the easiest darter to breed?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

1) I think they have some conservation status throughout most of their range.
2) Yes, a lot of us live near them.

I can't really answer either 3) or 4).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

1) Very much protected.

2) Not me.

3) Can't say I can answer that one.

4) Tie between Johnnys and Fantails which are still fairly difficult to breed, I'll be attempting at least Johnny Darters in April, already starting to condition them.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

1) Not protected in Virginia

2) I live fairly close to them. They are easy to observe while snorkeling but are exceedingly difficult to catch. Even with a large crew, large seine, and backpack shockers, they are still a fairly uncommon catch, especially compared to their actual abundance. Interesting to note also is that I have absolutely no idea where the little ones hang out. They would be the ideal target if one were going to attempt to collect them, but in my travels I have only ever seen a single juvenile while snorkeling, and it was already a 1-year-old based on its size and time of year.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#5 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

I would love to get tangerine darters sometime. If you ever are able to get one, can you send me one? I'm actually looking for one that is 2in or larger. I will pay through paypal. should I put this up on the trading dock?

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

Leo, really stop now. Nobody is getting you tangerines. Too difficult, and too protected let it go.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

Leo, really stop now. Nobody is getting you tangerines. Too difficult, and too protected let it go.

I guess I misread the post. I was not expecting it to happen, just thought I might as well ask.

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Virginia. Easy to catch while snorkeling. Puppy dogs, inquisitive. Patience and a slowly lowered dipnet. Small ones are in the pools below riffles.
Check YouTube for nice videos.
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

No big deal Leo. You are pretty new to this, but there are fish out there that you just cannot ask to buy. Tangerine are a no go through much of their range. As Casper pointed out, they are apparently legal in virginia. They are very difficult to seine and very few can get them for you. So it would be wise to either take a trip to Virginia, or look for something more accessable.

#10 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

I found a lot of yoy last year, but they're staying in Tennessee.
Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

Rainbows and Orangethroats (and their relatives) are pretty good for aquarium spawning and easy to raise. They're gravel spawners and do not guard the eggs like Johnny, Tesselated and Fantails do.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#12 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Leo, if you want a large colorful darter, granted they are not comparable to tangerines in most peoples minds, have a look at variegate darters. They are easy to come by, not protected in most of thier range, and if collected small adapt pretty well to aquarium life. Lots of us run accross them frequently. Anyone of us in Ohio, or Kentucky could send you some after they spawn and the juveniles are abundant. In fact Jonahs has them listed right now, along with 8 other darter species. Everyone covets tangerine darters, but very few actually keep them. Someday, make that trip to Virginia and see them first hand by snorkeling with them, then decide if they are right for you.

#13 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

how big do the variegate darters get? I was looking for a darter that spends more time off the bottom, but I guess they will work if they are large.

#14 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

4-5 inches maybe. Very thick bodied for a darter. They do not spend much time off the bottom. Logperch darters are big and spend more time off the bottom. Very interesting fish, but they lack color. I think they are attractive. Easy to come by. Percina caprodes is widespread and unprotected within most of its range. Again I think it is better to start with younger logperch. Logperch are a realistic fish to ask someone to find for you, people net them up all the time. I would say that a 6-7 inch logperch is not uncommon to see, so very big as far as darters go. Jonah's has them too.

#15 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

I ordered a logperch recently and they said it was their last one... It jumped the next day.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Matt is right about log perch. Tons of personality and a little bit of swim bladder. And also much more available, collectable. They are really curious and come right up to snorkelers. And that translates in the tank as well. They learn to eat quickly and their curiosity means they try new stuff.

Unfortunately a lot of natives jump. Get a screen lid and try the log perch again. Well worth the effort.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users