Photo

North pickerel

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

Has anyone caught pickerel in the Des planes river north of Chicago or anywhere north of Chicago in il.

#2 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

I've caught them in Fox River tributaries across the border in Wisconsin. I'd imagine they'd be on the Illinois side as well. They like to hang out in the heavy vegetation away from the main flow of the creek/river.

#3 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

I also remember getting them in the Fox River but not sure if we were in IL or WI. This was for a summer job just after graduating college. I remember putting a sall northern pike and grass pickerel next to one another for a photo...

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#4 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Thank the fox river is not far from me

#5 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Des Plaines has them but its a hotbed for tiny Northerns too. I would guess they get outcompeted pretty easy. 

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#6 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Do you have a favorite spot

#7 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

I like Isle a la Cache in Romeoville, and the State St. access in Lemont. The Isle a la Cache access has a lot of little feeder creeks and has a man made dam not too far down where fish get pushed up against it and congregate. If you're looking for pickerel though, Isle is great because of all the shallow feeder creeks and lots of emergent vegetation. Pickerel like to stay shallow and hunt in vegetation. If you're a fisherman, its great for channel cats. Get a dozen roaches and put one under a float and you'll have fun for a few hours. I'm planning on going there in the spring to stock my tank. Lots of places there to go netting and the water is fairly clear.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#8 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member
  • Nortwestern Ohio (Bowling Green)

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

Have you tried searching the Illinois Natural History Survey Fish Database? http://ellipse.inhs....fishsearch.html

I did a queried the database by genus "Esox" and drainage "Des Plaines", and obtained these results: http://ellipse.inhs....llections/FMPro

From these results, I would suggest looking into Marley Creek (tributary to Hickory Creek in Will County), Grant Creek, and Black Partridge Creek.  I wouldn't put too much faith into finding them in the DuPage River or Salt Creek.  From personal experience, grass pickerel are few and far between in those streams.

If you're looking for grass pickerel north of Chicago, just query the database by "Esox americanus" and select the appropriate County.

Good luck!

Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

#9 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member
  • Nortwestern Ohio (Bowling Green)

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Be aware of the year the collections were made...quite a few species present in early collections (around the year 1900) are no longer present in those locations.

Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

#10 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Thanks

#11 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

Forget Black Partridge. Its a pain to get to, its a tributary off the DP that leads to a backwater pond off Bluff Road and State St. in Lemont. You can't get to it without either wading a real long way or walking through tons of bullrush and cattail.

I'm going to be trying Marley Creek and Hickory Creek in the spring. Real close to me. I posted a video about Midwestern natives in the collecting forum that talks about Hickory creek and the fish in there. You should watch that video, the lady who does the presentation is from Tinley Park, if I guess right, and she talks about all the species you can find in our area. Real interesting watch.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users