Blacknose dace has red spot on mouth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riffledace

Riffledace
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

One of my male blacknose dace has a small red spot on his mouth. It's kind of hard to see and harder to get a picture of due to the mouth in question being small and subterminal. I think it might be because I actually just tossed a large frozen dead cockroach ( the same one that stars in the video I took of my giant water bug) with spikes on its legs, and yesterday the dace all got scared and dove under rocks during a tank cleaning session. So it might be an injury, probably from the spiky cockroach. But after having 3 creek chubs die of mouth rot type columnaris a long time ago, I'm kind of paranoid. (I should probably add that the dead chubs were probably not my fault, as I returned to the location of capture and discovered wild chubs, shiners, and stocked rainbows all dying from the same disease. The trout hatcheries are loading diseased fish chock full of antibiotic resistant columnaris into our waters!)

#2 Riffledace

Riffledace
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

I got a picture but it's too big to upload. I wonder if I have a limit on the total amount of data I can upload? Because in a different thread I posted a bunch of huge pictures and a fairly long video and now I can't post anything.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Yes. Guests have a finite amount of upload space. NANFA members have much greater capacity.

Also you can post your pictures to another site (like your own Google account). And then use the little Polaroid icon to display them here in your thread
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Riffledace

Riffledace
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Ohhhhh! I guess I shouldn't have blown it on those stupid videos...

#5 Riffledace

Riffledace
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

The red spot ( really more of a scratch) seems to have healed somewhat since yesterday and I believe it is an injury so I'm not worried anymore. Did a water change and his stripe even turned orange this morning! Just realized what a trivial topic this is to start a thread over, no wonder it didn't get any replies lol. And I don't really do anything but complain about pictures.

Edited by Riffledace, 20 January 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sometimes a mouth sore or inability to close the jaw can be the first symptom of a life-threatening infection. Being observant of little things like that can often be important in recognizing a problem early enough to intervene. I'm glad this one healed; sometimes they don't.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Riffledace

Riffledace
  • NANFA Guest
  • Massachusetts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanks. Luckily, this was nothing. I can't see the spot at all now and he looks happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users