Photo

Tank setup

2 replies to this topic

#1 junebug

junebug
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Diego

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

I just picked up the 40 gallon tank and sump system for my native tank. I'm going to be keeping dollar sunfish and probably a group of bluefin killies in it. The sump will be used for fry raising, since it's a very large sump.

I plan to seed the tank with amphipods, tubifex, and ghost shrimp before adding fish. The tank will be heavily planted with native plants (once I see what type locality of sunfish I'm getting, I'm checking with Sach's right now on that) found in the same area as the sunfish.

I have a few questions:

1) Should I use a lot of driftwood? I have pretty much an unlimited supply. It's manzanita and scrub oak, so nice hardwood, and won't leech too many tannins into the water.

2) Is water with a pH around 8.0 suitable for these fish?

3) Would I be better off with a trio of dollars, given their aggression in spawning, or should I stick with a single m/f pair?

4) Does anyone know where I can source some broad leaf sagittaria?

#2 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

Your going to have a very hard time keeping dollar sunfish with bluefin killifish. You'll also have a hard time keeping just a pair or trio of dollar sunfish in the same tank together. The dominant males will become very aggressive toward other sunfish in the tank. I find that 6 is about the minimum in most instances for keeping a group of sunfish. You could keep a single dollar sunfish in the tank with other suitable tank mates but bluefin killies are just too small and will be food every time.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#3 junebug

junebug
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Diego

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

Supposedly the strain I am getting (of dollar sunfish) is one of the more docile varieties. I was told by the breeder that most of them leave the other fish in their tanks alone, and do occasionally get aggressive with each other, but it's usually mostly harmless nipping. I guess I'll find out what's up if I do try them with the killies :P

That said, I have a 20 gallon sump for timeout if the male gets too mean during breeding. I don't think I could comfortably house more than three dollars in this size tank. Would that be advisable? I imagine, being the size they are, they'd be cramped, and bioload could become an issue.

I have basically 50-55 gallons of water to work with for bioload, between the tank itself and the sump (which will be about 3/4-7-8 full most of the time). Could I successfully house say 5 dollar sunfish in that, with them living in the 40 gallon tank? I like odd numbers, and I tend to find that aggression is spread more evenly in odd numbers rather than even.

Also, if the bluefin killies are not a possibility (I was advised otherwise by the breeder, but if it's a terrible idea, I'd hate to get attached and then have them get eaten), would perhaps one of the smaller size shiners be a better idea? Or just leave other fish out entirely and do a sunfish only tank?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users