Photo

suckers in groups?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Would it be better to keep suckers in groups when introduced into an aquarium? Does it affect the survivability in captivity?

#2 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

When suckers get caught in my net the little ones are generally together and the bigger ones are alone.

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

I don't think that matters as much as getting them small. Bigger suckers are very flighty, so starting small is best.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

I have had good success with a few that were housed alone with just darters as tank mates. I assume that they would do OK with shiners as long as some food got to the bottom of the tank (and that is not always easy). I dont think they would do as well with my beloved and hungry and rooting around in the substrate chubs (Nocomis) just because of the competition.

Matt's right on starting small. When I get on at around three inches is when they make me thing they gotta come home with me. I have a hogsucker now at that size that I ave seen in just a few months eat mysis or brine out of the water column. He also sifts the sand substrate so seems to be doing well and not getting thin at all.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users