Photo

Weekend of the 31st

19 replies to this topic

#1 killier

killier
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Supposed to be clear weather across North and South Carolina. I have the weekend off due to injuries and after a week cooped in bed I'm sure I'll be raring to get out collecting. Open for any target species. Anyone who attends is welcome to a complimentary captive raised flier as well. I have way too many.
trust the killienut
-Robert Godzinski

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Was wondering what you were up to. I'll keep it on my radar; Saturday is probably out, but maybe Sunday afternoon will work. Just for the record though, do you have this weekend (24 & 25) or next weekend in mind? Curious, as it sounds like you're planning an injury... :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 killier

killier
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

I was hit by a drunk driver day before yesterday, and pretty tore up. Nothing broken however and I was totally cool with going back into work they just told me to take a few days off. I have both weekends off if you wanna get into the water. However if you come we can kiss that clear weather goodbye :P
trust the killienut
-Robert Godzinski

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Criminy! Were you on your bike? I'm glad you didn't get it any worse! This weekend is a no-go, but maybe next Sunday. Just let me see what I can do about the weather. And of course I'll be sure that there isn't a single fish in any of the waters sampled. That's how I seine...
Matt Knepley

#5 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'm possibly game depending on location. I can't afford to drive too far past the midlands for only a day. I was actually planning a lower state collecting day next weekend. I'm in search of some okaties and for fun I was going to check out some other places and venture into brackish waters to check out sailfin mollies and whatever else are there. However I could be persuaded otherwise potentially....persuade me!

Oh yeah and if Matt is going, I'm not. Waste of a trip, won't see a thing! Haha
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

Is he really that bad luck? Raincloud over his shoulder?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Bad luck is an understatement. Dustin can testify to that more than I can! I kid Matt, I kid!
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Matt, I would love to meet you, but not sure I want to see you at a convention.

#9 killier

killier
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." You get a solid mixture of all of that ha ha. I was thinking Columbia area. Lineolatus, Evergladei, Stonei, Bluespot and blackbanded. I also happen to know a super cool spot for Golden topminnows. I'll bring a five gallon bucket of plants if you bring some coastal goodies with you. H. Formosa, maybe some L. Goodei. After that I figured we could travel west and go after some Savannah Darters and those really pretty yellowfins. Not sure on locations for E. Okatie

Edit: Matt K. I wasn't driving or on my bike, thank my lucky stars. I'm in one piece as best I can tell.
trust the killienut
-Robert Godzinski

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

I will say that when I visited Matt in SC, we did have a down pour! But we also caught lots of fish!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." You get a solid mixture of all of that ha ha. I was thinking Columbia area. Lineolatus, Evergladei, Stonei, Bluespot and blackbanded. I also happen to know a super cool spot for Golden topminnows. I'll bring a five gallon bucket of plants if you bring some coastal goodies with you. H. Formosa, maybe some L. Goodei. After that I figured we could travel west and go after some Savannah Darters and those really pretty yellowfins. Not sure on locations for E. Okatie

Edit: Matt K. I wasn't driving or on my bike, thank my lucky stars. I'm in one piece as best I can tell.

I'm not sure I'll have time in between now and then to get out and grab any heterandria or Goodei. I work from 7-4 everyday, this weekend is a washout, so my only time would have been next weekend. We'll see though. It's sounding more enticing, but I'll have to let you know for sure later.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#12 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Two weeks later is the Raleigh Aquarium Workshop event, for which I'm leading a trip Friday afternoon (Feb 13) from 1:00 to 6:00. Current plan is to collect around Durham to Burlington area for Mtn redbelly dace, Crescent shiner, Rosefin/Pinewoods shiner, Satinfin & Swallowtail shiner, Roanoke & Chainback darter, Glassy & Johnny-Tessie darter, Bluehead chub, Margined madtom, Speckled killie, etc. It's a short field trip and you do need to register for the RAS workshop to attend the field trip, so may not be worthwhile unless you're staying for the talks on Sat and/or auction on Sun.

http://www.raleighaq...15_brochure.pdf

http://www.raleighaq...shop/index.html

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#13 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:42 AM

I can certainly attest to Matt K.'s bad mojo. The last time we went out, we spent 12 hours and nearly two full tanks of gas and ended up with about 20 fish that we caught at the very last minute. You guys keep me updated. I may be able to get out Sunday. If I can't, I can certainly give out spots.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

I can certainly attest to Matt K.'s bad mojo. The last time we went out, we spent 12 hours and nearly two full tanks of gas and ended up with about 20 fish that we caught at the very last minute. You guys keep me updated. I may be able to get out Sunday. If I can't, I can certainly give out spots.

If there's a collecting challenge again this convention, I will join whatever team offers me the least amount of cash to stay away. Some might call it "protection money", or even "extortion". Those are such ugly words, but when your convention swag is on the line, do you really want to quibble over semantics? ;)
Matt Knepley

#15 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

So ... who catches all those fish that Matt posts pix of?  Looks to me like he does just fine working alone, unless his kids to do the dirty work and he's claiming credit.  The no-fish problem seems arise when other NANFAns are around ... very suspicious.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

It's definitely his daughters... note how he is always talking about his helpers... they seem to counter-act his bad luck... the one time he came over here to Athens, we caught a lot of fish... and both his daughters came along!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

I'm just a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma... (for all you Winston Churchill and Lisa Simpson fans out there)

Now take me fishing and test your luck! :)
Matt Knepley

#18 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

Wow! I just can't fathom this. If Dustin can't catch fish when Matt's around there is certainly something wrong. Very wrong. I mean like voodoo wrong.

#19 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:14 AM

Did you get a chance to get out before the rain? Any luck, if you did?
Matt Knepley

#20 killier

killier
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

No. I didn't make it out myself. Wasn't up for the ride on the motorcycle. Am thinking a local run in my neck of the woods is forthcoming. Gonna go after N. lutipinnis, Cyprinella pyrrhomelas and possibly Esox Americanus.

trust the killienut
-Robert Godzinski

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users