Photo

Who is still having trouble with malware?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

When searching NANFA through a browser we have had trouble with malware. I thought it was fixed as I am no longer having much trouble with it. Everyone please take a minute and let us know if you are. We need to end this. Thanks Matt

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

I'm still having a bit of trouble, for me it can now be one of two spam/malware websites that can come up. Hasn't happened yet tonight but it was earlier today.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Sean.

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

It's still there for me as well, same as always. It only shows up once in a given time period. Once it happens, it won't happen again for a while (I'm not sure exactly how long, perhaps several days?). However, I can get it to show up consistently by clearing Chrome's browsing data (cookies, cached files, etc). After doing that it happens the first time, every time. It only happens with google links to the forum and forum content. Links to the main website are not affected.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Great. Thanks Issac. The more we know about this the better off we are in fixing it. Sajjad will be back th 20th and plans to get into it. The more info we can give him the better.

#6 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

It effects me on my computer if I enter through a browser and not my bookmark, on my tablet entering through a google ap, and at the public computer kiosks where I work. I know if i back out (hopefully fast enough to avoid pop ups) I can re-enter without problem. (Internet Explorer on the public kiosks as work is odd as backing out brings you to the forum not the browser, different from both the IE ap on my tablet and firefox on my browser where backing out brings me to google).

Given the times I am free to access computers at work (before work, 1st break, 2nd break, and after work, a few hours between each) it is enough time for the redirect to take effect again on my next visit, thus i can get it four times a day at work on a single machine if the move away from the redirect and to the forum has a couple hours wait in between,

Hopefully our pet carp can work his magic and fix it. :)  (hope you don't mind the fish joke on your screen name).

#7 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

I've still never encountered it, I live a sheltered life apparently.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

I haven't experienced this yet, either; but then again I only ever come here directly via our url.

That said, I still have Hotel California syndrome- once I sign in, I can never leave. Well almost never, Hotel Arizona, maybe...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

It only occurs when you come in via search engine I guess.

I have been in contact with Sajjad this evening. He is away without laptop, but will get on it ASAP. We had hoped that the forum upgrade would fix it, but no dice. Thank you all for your patience, and remember that Michael and I are rank amateurs at anything much more involved than the forum software. Well Michael is a good bit more talented than that, but not up to dealing with this problem. Thanks all.

#10 magic-carpet

magic-carpet
  • Administrators

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

This issue has been fixed manually. The malware had morphed and the signature changed.

I have reported to Invision (makers of forum software). Let's see if they can fix it.

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Great, and thanks a bunch!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users