Photo

Fish My Ride

20 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

So there she sits...

DSCF4960.JPG

...Snowbird, the Mailslinger-Finchaser 2007. Four cylinders of magazine dealing, dipnet wielding fury. The minivan that thinks she's an H1.

Here's the thing, some of her work (mail)and play (fish)needs are quite similar; roominess, decent gas mileage, good visibility, et cetera. But I'm hoping to make Oklahoma this summer -why do I hear laughing?- and I want to trick the ol' girl out right for the adventure. If you could design an over-the-road fish hauler, what would be standard equipment for you? No fru-fru, high tech stuff. I drive without ac in the summer and without heat in the winter. That stuff is for sissies. Sissies with better budgets than mine...

At all times there are multiple towels, three and five gallon buckets, a dipnet, a seine, a baitbucket net, handfuls of Kosher salt, Michael Wolfe's cooler, a bathing suit, a change of clothes appropriate for the season, stank-funk waders, a pair of equally dicey river shoes(aka ratty sneakers), an ultralight spinning rod, and an assortment of fishing tackle guaranteed to not have what I need. Even at work these things ride around with me and I still have plenty of room! When I hit the streams this beast also sports a DeLorme, field guides, a photo tank, a camera, and usually binoculars.

I assume this stuff is all standard, entry-level fish nerd equipage. But for those of you with savvy, what would you suggest a rookie like me pimp out his ride with to have the best fishy experience at a convention that's half the country away? I do want to bring a modest number of fish home, and will be camping I am sure...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

The thing that I would add are few...

• Seat covers, something that will help keep your seat cushions dry.  Casper created some neat ones made out of carpet remnants.  I have some silly towel based ones.
  • Bins that are big enough to hold some wet stuff.  Like if you have wet foot ware or something muddy, just to contain the mess.  I used to use some round ones, but rectangluar (like rubbermaid bins) make better use of space
  • Electrical power.  Something that can convert your car power to 120VAC so that you can run multiple airpumps.  Why you might not need air conditioning, the fish do need to be kept cool on a long ride home in the summer, and AC plus an airpump might be the best combo for that.

Not related to your van, but I would definitely recommend investing in a pair of wading boots or wader boots.  They were the best investment that I have made in a long time.  More comfort, more durability.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

No. 1 - Duct tape maybe 2 rolls - many potential uses never leave home without it, can use it to start a fire, purify water, signal for help, trap small mammals for food....ok maybe not all above but it is handy

No. 2 - flat tire kit and small air compressor plug in to cig. lighter

No. 3 - a couple tie downs really are handy to ensure your coolers don't spill in any sudden stops or bumps in the road 

No. 4 - a piece of rug to lay on ground to change out of waders

this last one  credit to Kanus who reminded me of this comfort item on our last trip though I always forgot to use them!  

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Fish decals and a big nanfa bumper sticker, maybe it be known at a glace that it is a fishmobile.

#5 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

dry socks,

#6 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

This is all you need for microfishing.

ultralite rod & reel

4 lb mono line

presnelled Owner Tanago New Half Moon hooks (http://www.tenkarabu...hing-hooks.html)

a variety of smaller split shot sizes

pliers for the split shot

redworms from walmart (or local earthworms, or scuds from the creek, or maggots, etc etc)

pocket knife with scissors 

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

I found some supposedly waterproof seat covers at Walmart once.  They were cheap and very easy to put on/take off.  They will likely do the job, unless you are saturated.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#8 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

No. 4 - a piece of rug to lay on ground to change out of waders

this last one  credit to Kanus who reminded me of this comfort item on our last trip though I always forgot to use them!  

Lots of good advice from everyone.  This item is a very good suggestion.  A buddy of mine turned me on to this and it comes in handy after a wade (fishing or fossil collecting in my case) or ice fishing.  I make sure that I keep a carpet square in each of my vehicles for this purpose.

Kevin Wilson

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Good ideas, all of them. Especially like the carpet square one. Thanks!
Matt Knepley

#10 kirby007

kirby007
  • NANFA Guest
  • berea ky

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

Walmart should have a lot of those seat covers marked down, the automotive section I work at does, can't recall if we have the waterproof ones though

#11 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

I went to the local carpet outlet and bought hemmed lengths of outdoor hall carpet.  About 2' by 6'.  Folded over the end about 6" and put a couple bolts and washers at the edges to hold the fold in place.  This slips over the head rest and covers the seat.  The carpet absorbs moisture from my wetsuit ( or waders, swimshorts ) as i drive from location to location.  The pads also come in handy for sleeping / cushioning as well as other things.

Keeping a scrap of 2' x 3' carpet handy as Derek, Mike and Chas agree is ideal for standing on while changing.  Door mats would work the same.  Gravels, sticks, briars and broken glass harm my feets as i stumble and hop about changing into and out of gear.

Along with your shirt order, i am sending you a variety of NANFA decals to decorate your van.

I think you need a bigger van when i see your list PLUS needed camping gear.

:)

A luggage rack for your seine.

Basic tools, Vise grips, Screwdrivers, flat tire repair plugs.  Bungi cords, duct tape.  An invertor is nice.  I carry one of those 12 volt jumpers with an incorporated light, invertor and compressor.  I have had 2 but none have ever succesfully jumped a dead battery.  :(  The compressor is the value to me.

I also take a tub to throw all my wet gear into.  And a bottle of Sink the Stink to prevent that foul odor of 3 days of summer swelter.

Anybody ever come up with a way of preventing 5 gallon buckets from sticking together when stacked?  I tried drilling a hole in the end to prevent the vacumn sealing effect... but that kinda alters the function of a bucket when water is involved.  :)

I miss my 96 Caravan.  Still looking at options for future wheels.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the Walmart tip, Kirby. I like the manly diy seat covers, Casper. If I get all this put together I might wind up being the NANFA support vehicle...
Matt Knepley

#13 smilingfrog

smilingfrog
  • NANFA Member
  • Minnesota

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

Anybody ever come up with a way of preventing 5 gallon buckets from sticking together when stacked?  I tried drilling a hole in the end to prevent the vacumn sealing effect... but that kinda alters the function of a bucket when water is involved.  :)

Drape a piece of string over the edge of the bottom bucket.

#14 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

Simple. easy.  I Like.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#15 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:22 AM

Brilliant! Often my buckets are bouncing around, of their own volition, precisely because I don't want to pry them apart. This may just put an end to that!
Matt Knepley

#16 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Wow, you have a fish that large. Do you need a saddle or something? Wait... it's fish my ride, NOT ride my fish. :)

#17 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

Battery powered air pumps, and sponge filters well seasoned.

#18 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Storage for water so you can have on the spot water changes.

Refridgerated storage for ice to keep fish from overheating in the car.

#19 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Water changes aren't necessary on that kind of trip. A luxury maybe worth considering, but I actually I think a water change in a bucket is more stressful than help.

Edited by gzeiger, 25 February 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#20 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

I'd add some bigger (>10 gallons) coolers and some air pumps for far trips.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users