Orange throat never bred.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Louie

Louie
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:01 AM

Hello

I have a pair of Orange throats in a 30 gallon long , filtered  by Emperor 280 , day temp 75 , night 71 , just plants no driftwood . fed scuds , poor quality cherry shrimp and they eat white cloud fry .

I keep them with a few white clouds . They are over a year and a half old and get 20% water change every week .

Male has great colors but they have never bred .

Temps to high ? 

Attached Files

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

Definitely to high to breed, at the least id try to get it below 60 with 55 or lower being better. Pretty much as low as you can go without freezing the tank will give you a good chance of spawning action. I'm trying to get my Johnny darters to breed at the present and the male is already showing signs with a cold period of only 62-64 but they're also an easier species of darter to spawn from what I've heard. Give yours a more varied diet as well, try feeding live blackworms and glassworms as well.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

Depending on source, you may need to push termperatures down further.  What have you done to simulate winter through spring photoperiod conditions?

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

Also consider photoperiod, it looks like you have a strong lighting system. Many darter researchers like Clark Hubbs have felt that photoperiod was the prompt to darter spawning, while higher temperatures were the prompt to stop. Beyond that I have no specific advice beyond mimicking what's happening outside now...
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#5 Louie

Louie
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

Thank you very much everyone .

I'm in Miami so going down further as far as temps isn't possible unless I get a chiller .   It is of course an unheated tank and those are the house temps during the course of day .

I have had Florida Brown darters breed , they would mate all the time (not successful as far as getting fry)thus thought perhaps the Orange might also .

I am adding floating plants later as trimmed the over grown plants and tank bit too bright .

I also feed them defrosted blood worms once a week and years ago had access to glass worms which my old darters went insane for but have not been able to find them in some time and you cant get them shipped here because they die or defrost .

I guess they wont be breeding . I suspected temps too high for breeding which is why I asked .

I imagine those of you who get temps low use basements in Northern states ?

Thanks

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I had some sort of "orangethroats" (Missouri) in the 90's that bred at room temp without any serious winter cooling.  Tank was usually 65-70 during the cold months  and 75-80 during summer.   I did not realize they were breeding until after I removed adults and found fry in the supposedly-empty tank a couple weeks later.  Gravel-spawning darters might not be as obvious as crevice-spawning or plant-spawning species.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Louie

Louie
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:42 AM

At one time the tank was bit more planted but I removed some plants to give them more room yet left enough for them to hide in , etc .

I would have noticed gravel moved about or plants dislodged .

They have never shown interest in breeding yet the male has great colors and both eat daily .

At this point I might add another pair but due to temps I'm limited .  I had mud darters years ago but very aggressive (great darters) so researching a darter which can thrive at those temps and that type set up .  Tank does have great water circulation but again temps are mid 70s during day .

Thanks

#8 Louie

Louie
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:31 AM

Some cell phone pics

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users