Photo

'Nother fantastic AC!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Got my AC in the mail yesterday and have read half of it so far. Love it!

It's a wonderful blend of science, adventure, and history. In it, piscine affects on central human characteristics are explored; the role of fish in our history, our very sustenance, the role of fish as a symbol/proof of divine blessing and as cultural/community tie, the role of fish as muse and curiosity stoker, the role of fish as vehicle for scientific and geographic exploration, the role of fish as a means to further human ingenuity while warning of the dangers of same; a wonderfully illustrated catalog of our corner of the world is laid out.

Seriously, I've only read four articles thus far, and this is all there! I can't wait to read the remainder. I'm already chomping at the bit for the spring issue! AC is definitely something of which NANFA should be proud. Thanks to all involved!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Yes, this one is very good. My head about exploded when I saw that blue green sunfish, I'd be willing to pay a bit for a fish that nice.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Matt, I totally agree! It's incredible what they are able to fit into one magazine!

Sean, I am friends with the editor, who also happens to be the author of that article. I can't remember whether or not they found similar morphs in that body of water, but I will check into it. Maybe we could find one for you.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Matt, I totally agree! It's incredible what they are able to fit into one magazine!
Sean, I am friends with the editor, who also happens to be the author of that article. I can't remember whether or not they found similar morphs in that body of water, but I will check into it. Maybe we could find one for you.

That'd be awesome man, thanks a ton! I'd definitely buy a group or even an individual from them if they could find them for me, that'd be an awesome fish to breed I'd think.

#5 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:27 PM

Well, we are not licensed to sell, but a trade would be fine. (Note to all people on this forum; unless you have the proper licensing, do not sell fish.)

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Well, we are not licensed to sell, but a trade would be fine. (Note to all people on this forum; unless you have the proper licensing, do not sell fish.)

Let me know if there are any fish in the Southwest PA area you guys would be interested in. Mainly the lower allegheny river drainage is where I do most of my collecting.

#7 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Grabbed mine from the box yesterday. Haven't dug into it yet, but excited to. Haven't gotten one in awhile, so big thanks to everyone who helped straighten that out!

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

A Very Fine Publication.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

WOW Matt!  Even though I am very familiar with this issue (put together by Konrad and Olaf), I had to revisit it to figure out what you were reading. :biggrin:

#10 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

I had the same reaction--and I might also have written one of those articles!
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#11 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

I agree, this is an fantastic issue.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#12 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

Just to clarify: I meant I had the same reaction as Fritz, i.e., not instantly recognizing all the great concepts Matt noticed, despite having read every word numerous times and even having written some of them.

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

I have to admit, when I was a young Nanfan, I was not super into AC. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the timing, maybe it was the changes going on at the time. I even got spanked a bit for a comment I made at the time. Well that was the past. I honestly do not know what too say now. Sometimes the board pats ourselves on the back because we really seem to jive so well, and it is just working. Makes me fairly proud to be helping and involved at such a time. I have to say that what I have seen in the current AC crew must be the same. There is something great going on here! I can't even fathom how you guys pull it all together. I have gone from one who was fairly indifferent to AC, to looking forward to it and making sure that each one gets put in order on my bookshelf. I know you guys put a ton of work into this, I hope that the praise that you are getting, and the pride in the publication that you guys are putting out keeps you guys going for a really good long time. I am really impressed, and proud to be working along side of you guys.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#14 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

It does eat up a lot of time, but it's got fish in it--ON EVERY PAGE!--so it's automatically 100 times more fun than most of the work I do. And you're right: I think we do work together well. Fritz and Konrad are the sort of easy-going, no-BS, somewhat smart-ass guys you want to work with in life. Having a crew of attentive editors who catch the things we missed in the initial round and that I missed again during layout is also a great asset. Nobody has any attitude, and that's rare in publishing and in life.
I'm glad to be part of it. If people keep writing cool stuff and taking great photos, AC will continue to get better and better.

#15 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

I agree. Another great issue. Thanks to all those involved!

#16 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

There are so many NANFA members who are not on this forum and American Currents is what binds us together, that and our love and appreciation of North America's native fish  For the active forum guests who are not NANFA members you are really missing a great full color quarterly publication and should be supporting this fine association and its efforts.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:34 AM

There are so many NANFA members who are not on this forum and American Currents is what binds us together, that and our love and appreciation of North America's native fish  For the active forum guests who are not NANFA members you are really missing a great full color quarterly publication and should be supporting this fine association and its efforts.

Though I agree with you Casper, American currents goes out to every member and is the tie that binds, I wish more members would get on the forum occasiaonally because it is our best source of up to date news, BOD discussions, regional events, etc. If not, in this age, we will have to rely even more on our facebook page, which is less intimate, and more invasive to personal privacy. It is rare that we need to get news out rapidly, but if there is a decision on something important it is brought up here. I would like to hear more input from members, so that the decisions can always reflect their thoughts. And of course I wish more forum members would join NANFA and support what we do, as well as receive AC.

We have a great new member input sponsorship program. Forum visitors knew about this many weeks ago. It takes a bit longer for everyone else to get the news.

AC is something to enjoy, add to your book collection, and cherish. The forum is the closest thing we have to a daily newspaper.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#18 ssminnow

ssminnow
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

Being the third leg on this tripod I have to say THANK YOU!!! These are very flattering and welcomed compliments!

#19 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

Holy Moley!  I am stunned that the dinosaur is actually on the Forum! I am almost speechless Ol Third Leg.

Thanks for the great compliments but go back about 4 or so issues and you will see when the change occurred. Olaf brought us out of darkness into the colored light.

BUT to continue this we need ARTICLES!  Brow beat your friends to write one. Keep an eye open for great reprints in state fish and game magazines. Write one yourself - we can help

#20 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Finally got mine today.  It does look good - a Kon and Olaf production

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users