Internal parasites?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

A few days ago I noticed that one of my southern redbelly dace had a bulging stomach on an otherwise scrawny, wasted body.

Does it have parasites? I haven't added any new fish, creatures or plants since summer 2014. I feed frozen foods, and have not introduced live foods since November 2014.

All other fish (several) look great. Is it possible that this fish is just getting old, too?

I've attached two pictures. I'm sorry for the poor quality. They move too much/fast.

One picture is a close-up. Another is the fish (in the very back) with two normal-looking dace.

Thanks.

Attached File  dace1.jpg   98.62KB   1 downloadsAttached File  dace2.jpg   86.98KB   1 downloads

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Do horse hair worms infect fish?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:09 PM

I have seen mountain redbelly dace get like that too, usually after a year or so in captivity.   There's some kind of organ damage going on, maybe parasites but not necessarily.  Only dissection will tell for sure (or finding worms in fresh feces).  Problem might be diet-related, and/or age as you suggested.  I would try adding more veggies to the diet (peas, sweet potato, squash ...) and less meaty foods for awhile.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

I usually add garlic to the food.  Garlic seems to boost their immune systems and also kills/prevents parasites.

#5 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Great input and advice, everyone! I'll try these tips out. Many thanks.

#6 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

I have had that same thing happen to SRBD before. After switching to spirulina based flakes I saw the lump reduce in size, but it never totally went away. That SRBD ended up living a long time, still. I had that fish for 2 or 3 years, and it developed the bump in the first year.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#7 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

#8 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

I currently have this same problem with my SRBD, though it seems to some extent to come and go. Sometimes it looks every bit as severe as your photos show, while sometimes it is barely (or not) noticeable. I have very occasionally had MRBD get lumps like this and with those, I have actually had them die because of it, it almost seemed like it burst their body cavity, though I never witnessed the actual death. I have not had SRBD die from this and it has happened off and on for over a year. It almost looks like gaseous buildup but they seem to still swim just fine. Perhaps it is some kind of localized edema?

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#9 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

That's good to know, Kanus. Thanks for the information. These are the first dace of any kind I've ever kept, and I've had them just under a year, so I have no prior history to rely on.

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

I like Derek's localized edema theory, and also a partial intestinal blockage?  But you expect that they wouldn't eat if they were backed-up like that.  I haven't personally experienced this with either MRB or SRB dace.  How long does it persist?

When my dace have gotten super old, I usually just see the entire body attrition rather than the swollen abdomen as seen above. 

My thoughts on it being parasitic in nature are that unless resolved, (with drugs) the condition would persist and not appear, disappear, reappear on its own and so-on.  I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holid....(that joke has run its course).

Nick L.

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I'm thinkin' maybe some kind of swelling in the liver, spleen, or kidney -- maybe diet-related, maybe infection, ...???

Sure wish we had a trained fish veterinarian on the forum.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

^ touche.  Sadly, the numerous specimens I submitted to vets never came up with anything spectacular......"gram positive bacteria/mycobacterium......organs too autolysed.....fractured spine [window strike]....."

Nick L.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users