Salt with native sunfish

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 flier82sunfish

flier82sunfish
  • NANFA Guest
  • Twin Cities Metro, MN

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I have heard that certain NA native fish species are sensitive to salt and that it's not recommended to use it as a treatment for ich and other parasites. Have I heard correctly or is this false information? If so, at what levels would you recommend dosing the water for treatment of these things, or as a prophylactic in quarantine? Specifically pertaining to Pumpkinseed Sunfish. Thank you for any help you might be able to give. 

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

You certainly won't hurt Lepomis with a tablespoon per 5 gallons, or even a bit more. I am a believer in salt. I have always kept tanks salted, but many will disagree. I honestly cannot say who is right. I do know that it is great in the collection bucket, but bad in a planted tank.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

Never heard that natives are sensitive to salt. I personally keep 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons in the majority of my native tanks including with my Green Sunfish.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

Catfish are said to be less tolerant. A tablespoon per 5 gallons does not seem to bother them in the least.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 flier82sunfish

flier82sunfish
  • NANFA Guest
  • Twin Cities Metro, MN

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Thank you for the input. I've had this fish for a couple years now and haven't needed it before, but right now I am struggling with some problems with him. I'm not sure if the salt will do any good, but it is reassuring to hear it will not hurt. :)

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

Catfish are said to be less tolerant. A tablespoon per 5 gallons does not seem to bother them in the least.

I treated my largest yellow bullhead with a tablespoon per 5 gallons when his tank has an ich infestation. Didn't bother him in the least. Although I have a feeling that certain Noturus species are probably sensitive to it.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Not to derail your thread, flier82sunfish, but if you're living in SoCal... how did you come up with the Petosky stone U.P. silhouette for your avatar?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

I use as much as a tablespoon per gallon with no problems so far. 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Not to derail your thread, flier82sunfish, but if you're living in SoCal... how did you come up with the Petosky stone U.P. silhouette for your avatar?

Whoops, Lower Peninsula!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

Pumpkinseeds are particularly salt tolerant. I have caught them in the outer banks NC in the sound along with things like mumichogs and sheepshead minnows. Would not be concerned at all about using salt with a pumpkinseed or really any sunfish for that matter.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#11 mikez

mikez
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'm not on the salt band wagon, think its affects are placebo [for the fish keeper], but I never meant to give the impression it was stressful to any but soft water species, if even then.

Pumpkinseeds and bluegills, and probably others can be found in surprisingly brackish H2O as stated by Brian.
The idea that catfish are sensitive may be a throwback to the old tropical literature which often claim cory cats are sensitive. Coming from the Amazon, I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. North American cats are much more tolerant and I have caught white cats well below the tide line in estuaries along side saltwater species.
Mike Zaborowski
I don't know, maybe it was the roses.

#12 flier82sunfish

flier82sunfish
  • NANFA Guest
  • Twin Cities Metro, MN

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

I'm originally from SE Michigan. :)

#13 flier82sunfish

flier82sunfish
  • NANFA Guest
  • Twin Cities Metro, MN

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Great info everyone, thank you all for your input. My guy is having some skin issues and I'm not sure what originally caused it, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'd have run salt while treating him for parasites it might have avoided the problem that's going on now. At this point I've decided to have a vet look at him to avoid making the wrong move. 

#14 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Wow, what a novel concept ... find out what you're treating before you treat it ... not a common practice in the aquarium hobby.  One of the challenges with fish vet work (especially on fish that have been sick for awhile) is figuring out what the underlying culprit is.  A sick fish can have a myriad of secondary infections (protozoa, bacteria, fungi, etc) that can mask whatever disease (if it was a disease) weakened  the immune system in the first place.  Some disease organisms are sensitive to salt and others are not.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users