Golf Course Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

Atlanta area golf course creek yielded some obvious redbreasts, an obvious warmouth, and then this fish... the white edges on the bottom make me think green... but I wanted to know if y'all see this as a green or maybe a h_____?

Attached File  image3 - Edited.JPG   112.51KB   1 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

It has mottled pattern on dorsal fin....tho its not clear.

#3 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

Looks like an ugly green.

#4 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

What in the world! The pronounced, black scales look like Spotted or Redspotted, but the mouth and head definitely looks like a Warmouth.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

It's beautiful whatever it is. My bet would be Warmouth X Blackspotted.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

I think it is just a slightly odd warmouth. Check out google images for warmouth, and you will see how much they vary. Some even have these striking black scales.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

It looks very warmouth to me (including the dark scales) and other warmouth were caught, but I never thought warmouth had that white edging on the lower fins and caudal. I never like the h word but this looks warmouth x green, or am I wrong about the white edges?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Again, there are several with white fin edging in google images. I know that is not the most reliable source, and heck some of those may be hybrids, but take a look.

Were there any obvious greens caught? If there are greens in the pond you would almost surely have ran into them because, well because they are greens.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

Michael,  I hesitate to say the H word...  There is no doubt this thing screams warmouth (mouth, pattern, obvious red spot just below soft dorsal).  Many of the warmouth I've caught lately have had red margins on the soft dorsal and anal fins.  But just last week, some of the warmouth down on the lower Hooch have has some white leading edges on the pelvic and anal fins.  I don't have good pictures, but none of them even once made me think H word.  Warmouth are so dang variable...  I'll see if any of my photos that show the white margins are good enough to post.

Willie P

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Cool. I hate the H word. And if we think the edging is not a disqualifier then I will go with Warmouth.

By the way Uncle. If you remember the other Warmouth, well he is still going strong. I will have to get new video of him up soon.

#11 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Warmouth and decidedly male.  Look for red spot at rear base of dorsal fin.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#12 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

I agree, a male warmouth.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users