Photo

Inverter and aerator suggestions?

9 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm toying with the idea of getting an inverter and aerator to use in a fish-hualin' cooler my minivan. I would only need enough chutzpa to service a regular sized cooler, probably ~48 quarts at the most.

Any particular aerators you'd recommend and what wattage inverter would they require?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

I would just pick up a middle of the road aerator and a 300 watt inverter.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Air pumps don't use that much wattage.  I would get a tetra whisper 100.  They seem quieter to me (I have a few) and they have two outlets.  Driving two air stones for two coolers would be a good idea.  And they only draw 5 watts, so your inverter will not have to be extra large or be taxed in any way.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

It seems like the most common size of small inverter is the 300 watt. Pretty cheap.  http://invertersuppl...oKuEaAu2l8P8HAQ

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 AussiePeter

AussiePeter
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

You only need an aerater when you are stopped, when driving I think you are better not to have one in as it is something else for the fish to bang into.  Sloshing generates tons of oxygenation.

cheers

Peter

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

I'd go with a 300w inverter to a tetra whisper air pump, size of the pump depending on how many coolers you want. If you just want two coolers aerated then I'd do a whisper 50. If you want something like 3 or 4 aerated, I'd go with a whisper 100 because you could run two base lines out which could be separated with T valves to get 4 lines total.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

I use a small inverter to power an air pump and multiple intank(cooler) filters all at the same time, no issues here.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#8 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

I picked up an inverter at Home Depot for $5, I think it was maybe 100W or something.  You could run a bunch of aerators offa that.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#9 jetajockey

jetajockey
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

Why not just get a 12v aerator and cut out the middle man?

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Why not just get a 12v aerator and cut out the middle man?

That's a good idea which brings up another consideration.  When staying overnight somewhere, camping or in a motel, would leaving a direct 12 volt aerator plugged in and running overnight, would your vehicle battery be drawn down to "no start" in the morning?  These modern car electronics are getting finicky.  When i was young i could leave my 8 track player running all night with no issues.  Today after just an hour or 2 the battery is battery drained.  And some 12 volt ports are only on when the car is running or the key engaged.  On other vehicles they are "live" all the time.

Also i had a nice little 12 volt invertor, very small but ideal for running my small air pump.  I thought it a good idea to just leave it plugged into the port instead of storing and hunting for it.  Not good... as it burned out.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users