Photo

The Latest Collecting Gear Out of Florida

3 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:56 AM

Wonder if bobcats are legal collecting devices.

I'm not sure "rare" is the word I'd use to describe bobcat sightings on FL beaches. They certainly aren't commonplace, but in four mid-January trips I made to Canaveral National Seashore from 2004-08 we saw a wild kitty on two occasions. Fantastic creatures.

Wonder if he knows Josh's lynx...

http://www.grindtv.c...UkimgIQGaqYc.97
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

That is really cool!

Kevin Wilson

#3 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

apparently bobcats are not nearly as reclusive here in fl as up north, though i have only seen one , many people around here spot them in their backyards

#4 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:47 PM

apparently bobcats are not nearly as reclusive here in fl as up north, though i have only seen one , many people around here spot them in their backyards

From my experience and understanding, habitat destruction has led to Florida bobcats, and other reclusive animals, showing up in many places that are not normal for them.  Although I have never seen one fishing (Matt - thank you for sharing the fascinating video!), the ones I have seen have been in areas surrounding recent construction and newer developments.  It certainly leads to mixed feelings - the privilege of seeing this amazing animal contrasted with the realization of the reasons of why I have been able to see it.

I enjoyed the quote in the article from the FWC: “there are no shark-fishing regulations for bobcats. Just people.”  I hope the second sentence about people was referring to the bobcat and not to the shark - the idea of "people-fishing regulations for bobcats" is both impractical and disconcerting. :/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users