Photo

Des Plaines Watershed

26 replies to this topic

#1 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

looking for a place to collect grass or redfin pickerel. Also looking for stone cats. Othr areas of northern il will also work buut  will have less opportunities to get there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

www.fishmap.org

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

yeah that the web site that made me ask the question as i didnt even know there where in the area. I  saw another site that had dot maps for it but cant seem to find it again.

#4 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

http://fishmap.org/s...n-Pickerel.html

This is the link for the Redfin pickerel. Zoom into the Des Plaines watershed to see red dot collection points. Grass pickerel does not seem to be present in this watershed. Let me know if his help.

#5 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

ok that dose help just needed to look up by species. Seems like theres no data for my immediate surroundings(1 hour drive) but it dose give me a place to start. thank you.

#6 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

From what I hear, they're pretty prevalent in the Kankakee, especially the backwater streams.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

You don't have redfin pickerel there at all do you?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

No

#9 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

Looks like redfin pickerel is used as the name for both subspecies on fishmap.org, so just replace anything rc6750 said with grass pickerel.

#10 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yeah no Redfins (Esox americanus americanus) in the upper Mississippi so your just dealing with a difference in level of ID. Often subspecies are lumped together and Redfin would be the proper name if your not IDing to subspecies (just calling them all Esox americanus and nothing further) because they are the "Primary" species for lack of knowing exactly what to call it (someone who knows the proper term can correct me). So if you go as far as subspecies Esox americanus vermiculatus they are all Grass Pickerel in your area. I deal with this all the time with our state EPA because they do not ID to subspecies so they call them all Redfins and we have no Redfins in Ohio so it drives me nuts.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#11 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Yeah no Redfins (Esox americanus americanus) in the upper Mississippi so your just dealing with a difference in level of ID. Often subspecies are lumped together and Redfin would be the proper name if your not IDing to subspecies (just calling them all Esox americanus and nothing further) because they are the "Primary" species for lack of knowing exactly what to call it (someone who knows the proper term can correct me). So if you go as far as subspecies Esox americanus vermiculatus they are all Grass Pickerel in your area. I deal with this all the time with our state EPA because they do not ID to subspecies so they call them all Redfins and we have no Redfins in Ohio so it drives me nuts.

We really ought to just use one blanket common name when we're not concerned with the subspecies.  American pickerel works.

#12 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

I wonder if they did a DNA analysis on them if they would be separated, Redfin Pickerel get over twice as big as Grass Pickerel. To me they look as different as some of the darters recently split.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#13 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

So no red fins in the area good to know as I'm setting up a tank for native to my area fish. The search for a grass goes on. Ether buying or collecting(would love to collect it as the other fish I will be)

#14 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

Once again, try the Kankakee. Its not too far away, down towards Wilmington. From what I've heard, there's an abundance of them in shallow weeds. I myself would love to have one at some point in the distant future.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#15 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Yeah I'm going to just wait for my tank to finish cycling. Would it be better to  fish or dip nett for them?

#16 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

In some places, you can't keep game fish that haven't been caught on a rod and line. May want to look into that.

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

In some places, you can't keep game fish that haven't been caught on a rod and line. May want to look into that.

This is almost universal. So look into it well, as you are not likely to legally collect game fish with a net.

#18 Drx

Drx
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:26 AM

Illinois dose not list pickerel as a game fish. Only place its even mentioned in any of the county regulations I've read is for the Mississippi and even there all it says is it doesn't count for the 100 creel limit of non game fish.

#19 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:50 AM

Pickerel are a sort of gray area in Ohio as well. Be careful. Many game wardens would think they are undersize pike.

#20 predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87
  • NANFA Guest
  • pennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

I wonder if they did a DNA analysis on them if they would be separated, Redfin Pickerel get over twice as big as Grass Pickerel. To me they look as different as some of the darters recently split.

Isn't that the other way around? I was under the impression grass pickerel get larger, and that redfin were the smallest of the two species.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users