Photo

Crayfish id help needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hello all, I came across this listing for a crayfish on Ebay and for once the seller isn't charging an arm and a leg for a crayfish. the only problem is that I'm not sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's in the Cambarus family and it's not a diogenes. If it's a Cambrus bartoni I can find plenty of them myself but it doesn't look like one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I don't think this falls under the no unknown fish id's from home aquaria if it does I apologize and please remove it  

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Couple things:

1.  I don't know what kind it is.  Since getting my crayfish book, I've found they are more complex to ID than fish.

2.  Are you thinking of buying it?  It seems like you could go get a crayfish pretty easily.  They aren't hard to catch.

I think your post is ok, since it isn't your photo, I don't think it's breaking any NANFA rules.

One more thing:

82740271.png

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Well it's a species not local to NJ which makes it desirable. It's also pretty cool looking. 

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:23 PM

Well it's a species not local to NJ which makes it desirable. It's also pretty cool looking. 

I agree, it is cool looking.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

If you have a place to keep it and you're pretty sure it's something different, I say you grab it before someone else does. It's a neat little crayfish.

#6 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

I have room at least I do when I find a new home for the baby bullhead i caught last year who is big enough to catch on an ultralight and get a fight out of. I've had a few crayfish disappear under mysterious circumstances since it grew larger.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Crayfish are safe from no fish when they molt. Poor things lying on their backs for hours like quivering mass of jelly.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

Catfish are one of the worst to keep with crayfish when they get to a certain size. I don't raise them anymore but just happened to catch this baby one last year.

#9 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Signal_crayfish

Looks like one of these. If so, they're bad news and should not be moved around. This species is responsible for the decimation of not only most/all California native crayfish species, but also helped spread crayfish plague in Europe, where it has wiped out most of their species by means of disease introduction and direct competition due to their being invasive.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#10 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:30 AM

I wish it had been a Signal crayfish, I want to get one someday. I bought it and it turned out to be a Rusty crayfish. They are an invasive species in NJ but I haven't seen any yet. I'm am happy to have one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users