Photo

Ozark Bass....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DocEsox

DocEsox
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

When I originally caught this fish I thought it was a rock bass......sunfish are not my forte.  But I have been told this is an Ozark Bass....it came out of Table Rock Lake and was pictured before being returned to the water.  In looking at large size fish I knew rock bass get to more than a few pounds but have been told this is truly a monster for an Ozark bass.  Does anyone know much about these critters????

Brian

Attached Files

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

I have played around with them and Shadow bass on the nest and in aquariums.  We also watch them at a field site upstream of Bull Shoals.  The Ozark Bass is decidedly nocturnal in streams which are their natural habitat.  Crayfish seen to be favored based on observations although I am pretty sure you can find scientific literature that gives a better breakdown on what is actually consumed.  They can be trained to eat pellets and like deep cover, especially at night..  Males are very aggressive in defense of broods that may stay near nest for a short time following swimmup (not a proper exodus like with Lepomis spp.).  Nest usually strongly associated with structure and can even be found under rocks while Rockbass tend to nest more in the open.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

That is a very big Ozark Bass, nice catch.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#4 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

Yeah you got the right species and as already stated that is a very large individual for the species. I don't know how often species in this group occur in lakes other than rock bass. Did you catch more than one or just that one?

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#5 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

I caught one there back in the early 1990's, but mine was only about 8 inches long. I was bass fishing and only got the one so I don't know if there were more or not as we were using large baits and not targeting Ozark Bass.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#6 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

I think both Bull Shoals and Table Rock lakes are known for their Ozark Bass populations.  They get fairly sizable in streams as well.  A few years back I got in to some breeding Ozark Bass under a bridge in about 15 feet of water.  Location also had a few Hellbenders that where easy to spot.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#7 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Great Shirt!

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#8 DocEsox

DocEsox
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

Smbass....only caught the one....was chucking jerkbaits for bass.  This Ozark hit right up close to the shore as I began my retrieve.  Weren't really fishing for them.....the kid I was fishing with, who lives there, wasn't sure what species it was.

Casper.....thx on the shirt....I'm a dentist by trade and an amatuer fish taxonomist by nature....but I am most versed in salmonids.

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

I think they're pretty common in the lakes. I've caught several there while bass fishing. If you were on the AR side, the state record is only 1lb 1oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users