Positive Bullhead ID?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

Finally got some decent pictures of my bullheads. If anybody could help me out that would be awsome.

They are about 2-3" now
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chad

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

From the black barbels, I would say black bullhead.

#3 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

I agree, healthy looking fish too.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

Also note in pic #2 how the tail fin has dark membranes in between the lighter colored fin rays.
Similar brown bullhead usually lacks this distinct dark/light contrast between fin rays & membrane.

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Also note in pic #2 how the tail fin has dark membranes in between the lighter colored fin rays.
Similar brown bullhead usually lacks this distinct dark/light contrast between fin rays & membrane.

Ahhh thanks. I didn't know how to tell the difference in blacks and browns. That clears it up. Thanks guys

Chad

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

There is also a difference in the anal fin ray count between browns and blacks that is rather significant and can be used to separate them. Also one has very small serrations on the dorsal and pectoral spines and the other has rather large serrations. I don't remember for sure which was which. You can sometimes see this through the fin membrane so you don't have to tear the fin to look at it on young ones, large ones it becomes hard to see without doing a small amount of damage to one fin but it's nothing that will harm the fish or heal up in the long run.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Also one has very small serrations on the dorsal and pectoral spines and the other has rather large serrations. I don't remember for sure which was which.

It is the browns with the large serrations.

#8 Guest_mjosephfish_*

Guest_mjosephfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

Back bullhead have 17 to 21 rays in the slightly rounded anal fin and no serrations on their pectoral spines. Browns have 22 or 23 rays in the anal fin and deep serrations on the pectoral spines.Also if you know what fish are in your area you should know what fish you have.

#9 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

I've noticed that your black bullheads don't have as long of whiskers as my similiar sized yellow bullheads. Anyways, bullheads as a genus are awesome, they are as tough as nails, eat almost anything in the way of meat, and get along with almost everything not bite sized. Got to love the little whiskered fish! :mrgreen:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users