Photo

PFBC Delists Four Species of Darters

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

After some deliberation, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has officially delisted four species of Darters from the list of Threatened species due to an increase in population range and density.

The species delisted include the following
-Tippecanoe Darter (Etheostoma tippecanoe)
-Bluebreast Darter (Etheostoma camurum)
-Spotted Darter (Etheostoma maculatum)
-Gilt Darter (Percina evides)

Being delisted, these species are now legal to both collect and keep for those who wish do to so among us.

This is mentioned the the bottom most part of the newsletter.
image.jpg
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:01 AM

That's great news [for you and other darter keepers in PA].  All very cool species.  Gilts and Bluebreasts do very well in captivity and are real stunners as I'm sure you've seen.  I suspect we'll be seeing some photos of your new darter tank soon?

Nick L.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Yes indeed. My 75 stream tank will hopefully be up soon, (the new Fishroom is taking forever to clear old junk out of) and I'll be sure to include at least Bluebreasts and tippecanoes in it plus the pairs of rainbows, Greensides, variegates, and banded I already have, maybe a Logperch or two, and 4 schools of Cyprinids. (Don't worry I'll have more than enough filtration). I actually already have the majority of the inhabitants spread out between a 20 tall and 30 long that are plenty ready to go in their new tank and after collecting this weekend there'll be a final 20 tall with the remaining fish going in the new setup.

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:47 AM

I don't think what you listed is remotely overstocked---of course if you only had 1, small sponge filter....that'd be a different story.  I have a Fluval FX6 running on a 150g with ~80 or more fish?

I didn't see you list Gilts.  Any particular reason, or do you just not have access to them?  You will thoroughly enjoy their presence.

Nick L.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

I don't think what you listed is remotely overstocked---of course if you only had 1, small sponge filter....that'd be a different story.  I have a Fluval FX6 running on a 150g with ~80 or more fish?
I didn't see you list Gilts.  Any particular reason, or do you just not have access to them?  You will thoroughly enjoy their presence.

Then maybe I'll have to grab another pair of darters as well :). I'd love gilts and so would the guy I'll be collecting with but according to him he's searched for them all over and never found more than one. If we can find any then he has first dibs on a few but if by some miracle we seine a whole net full of them I'll grab a pair as well. And as for filtration, I'll be running a fluval 406 canister and a river manifold filter with two big sponges.

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:09 PM

You know you're a Darter addict when...

You take a two hour drive headed into a massive storm cell to a creek you've never been to to get some species that were just delisted 3 days ago!

Nevertheless, I got myself a trio of Bluebreasts, a pair of Tippecanoes (one of which unfortunately seems like he'll not make it overnight), plus a bonus male banded just because it looked nice :).
image.jpg

Brilliantly colored, large bluebreast male (hard to see the great coloration by the picture) :
image.jpg

Also decided to hit the largest marsh in PA (geneva marsh) on the way to French creek and got 7 central Mudminnows and a 1" grass pickerel there. Well, I had 7 Mudminnows until I put them with some bullhead fry, at which point I was down to 4 of them after 5 minutes and one almost ate the pickerel. That was a mistake to think those individuals would mix well together, so now I've got the pickerel and last 4 Mudminnows in a 15 gallon with some angelfish fry and Ancistrus lol.

Grass Pickerel at 1":
image.jpg

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone happen to know a good collection spot for Gilts in PA? I thought we'd turn up a few in French during our trip but my collecting buddy said he's searched for them for several years without finding a single individual.

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

Got some new pickups yesterday, about 20 of them actually :). Got a lot of Bluebreast darters (of course ALL of them are females, lol), a few Tippecanoes, some bandeds, some variegates. And additionally I found a rarity, a piebald tippecanoe!!!

Darter Pile:
image.jpg

Variatum male:
image.jpg

Zonale male:
image.jpg

Camurum female:
image.jpg

Tippecanoe male:
image.jpg

Piebald Tippecanoe female:
image.jpg image.jpg