Capuchin Creek, Campbell Co. Tennessee

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

I went looking for Blackside Dace on Saturday, I failed.  But the day wasn't a total bust, I hope you like Arrow Darters. Yes, I'm rather one dimensional and boring, darters again. 

a1.jpg

Arrow Darter.  Yes his eyes really do look like that.

a2.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

He became quite comfortable with me; here he is hunting.

There was the only adult male in this small pool, however there were a lot of juvies like the one below.

aj1.jpg

There were also a lot of Rainbows present at this location.

rb3.jpg

Male in the foreground, female behind.

rb4.jpg

This little guy just inhaled a mayfly larva, it is just barely visible on the right side of his mouth.

rb5.jpg

More spawners, two males are chasing a female.  There were Chubs above them picking off the spawn.

Emerald Darter

e2.jpg

Thanks to Casper and Dave N., I couldn't have done it without you,

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

Darters may be a lot of things, but boring ain't one of 'em. Love those "hunting" shots. Keep on postin'!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

Move over grumpy cat ... grumpy darter is here.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Very nice!  According to Fishes of Tennessee the Arrows put on quite a sparing show... and i would think about now is prime time, so...

Emerald Darter... new to me.  Banded?  What is the fuzzy Darter in the background of the 3rd image down?

We will have to study the maps as i saw Blackside Dace regular while in the region.

Hiwassee and Conasauga camp / snorkel this weekend!  Any Snorkelers interested... let me know.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#5 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

Thanks guys.  Not zonale, check out the dorsal fins.  Zonale is green over red, baileyi is red over green, and the banding is different.  There is a big hole in this part of the Cumberland Plateau that zonale doesn't inhabit.  I have a better image of the fuzzy darter that I'll post later.

Bryce Gibson

#6 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

Great photos Bryce! I'd say you did quite well despite not finding your target species.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

Definitely an emerald. Actually part of the Ulocentra complex even though it looks somewhat similar to zonale and blennioides. We see them very often in Ky.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Thanks Isaac, this one was a much better subject than the one from the Kentucky convention.  Below is a better image of a "fuzzy darter" from the third photo above.  At first I thought it was a Blackside, but now I'm not too sure what it is.  Does anyone have any ideas about what species it could be?

darter.jpg

Bryce Gibson

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

Definitely an emerald. Actually part of the Ulocentra complex even though it looks somewhat similar to zonale and blennioides. We see them very often in Ky.

Does that mean it is actually a snub nose type of darter? Looks a little short in the face in the photo.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

Michael,

Yes.  The photo above has a skewed perspective which makes his head appear shorter than it actually is.

Bryce Gibson

#11 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

I am amazed at all the colors in darters. I never would have expected a fish like that to be so colorful.

They remind me of one of my all time favorites, the scarlet badis (Dario dario). There's so much color is such little fish.

#12 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

I so love the KY & Cumberland Arrow Darters.  They are such amazing fish, and I'm fortunate to have experience with both.  It's also one of the few darters who's primary food is small crayfish.  For a headwater species, they can certainly get fairly large, 5-6 inches.  I've read that this diet of small crayfish is what allows them to survive in the small pools of water during low flow.  I likely will not be long until they are listed on the T&E list.  

Brice, based on the drainage, I'd say the Darter is a juvenile Blackside Darter.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#13 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Darter color is biochemically amazing too:  I read somewhere (probably here) that darters are the only vertebrates with blue pigment in the skin.  Other fish and animals that look blue use iridophore cells containing guanine over their melanophore cells to refract the light and make them look blue, but they dont really have blue pigment.  ... Even more amazing than they look !

I am amazed at all the colors in darters. I never would have expected a fish like that to be so colorful.

They remind me of one of my all time favorites, the scarlet badis (Dario dario). There's so much color is such little fish.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#14 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Josh.

Bryce Gibson

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

I second Blackside.

Michael, yes. it is indeed a snubnose darter.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Matt, I thought thats what that Ulocentra complex was.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Of course all of the photos are awesome as usual Bryce, but I particularly like the most recent blackside photo. With the focus and water clarity, the fish just looks like it is flying.

#18 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member
  • Nortwestern Ohio (Bowling Green)

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hiwassee and Conasauga camp / snorkel this weekend!  Any Snorkelers interested... let me know.

I'll see you there!

Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

#19 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Matt, I like that one too.  You guys have fun on the Conasauga and Hiwassee, I'll be diving Puget Sound.

Bryce Gibson

#20 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

Awesome photos Bryce!  I really enjoyed them and look forward to your next ones.

Kevin Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users