Does gold on a carp mean it's a hybrid?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:11 AM

There's a school of about 10-12 big carp in my new favorite fishing spot. One of them is kind of a dusky platinum color, and I'm certain it's a goldfish. The rest were all basically just mud colored. About half of the rest had some amount of gold sprinkled on them, especially on the tail portions. Not just a gold tinge like some carp have, they have clearly defined orange and gold flecks. They were extremely wary of anything hitting the water, and they wouldn't come close to me, so I didn't get a look at the rest of them. 

Quite awhile ago, I found a Petsmart fish bag near there. It had a serial number on it, and when I called the store and asked, they told me it's the code for feeder goldfish. I'm guessing somebody's bait got loose. 

So my question is this: if I see gold color like that on a carp, is it likely that it's a hybrid or an old goldfish? 

Also, has anyone ever seen koi school with carp? That platinum looked more like a koi, by the color, but I'm not sure if that's something that happens. 

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

Aren't Koi the same genus and species just domesticated. I would see no reason why they would not school.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

also, there is the shebunkin, i have to admit i don't really know about carp/goldfish taxonomy , but i know they hybridize and the difference is not necessarily color. does anyone know what species if one or several  is a goldfish, and is a koi  a different species? 

#4 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Yes koi and carp are the same species and will school together. I see it a lot in our mobile fish exhibit. In fact, I'd say the koi/carp school more than the goldfish in the tank. The carp/goldfish hybrid we have in there also schools with the group.

The key differences I see in my hybrid vs the pure strains are this:

-The carp have a distinct black outline around each scale. The goldfish and hybrid do not.

-Our hybrid also has a VERY small set of barbels, as opposed to the lack of any on the goldfish and distinct large barbels on the carp/koi

There are also several odd colorations/patterns on carp including mirror carp and something called a "ghost carp." The latter might be what you have, though I'm not sure without seeing a pic. Speaking of pics...

Common Carp

DSC_5597.JPG

Carp/Goldie hybrid (too far away to see the tiny barbels)

hybrid+g.JPG

Feral goldfish

DSC_4963.JPG

FishGuyJosh

#5 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:02 PM

There's a school of about 10-12 big carp in my new favorite fishing spot. One of them is kind of a dusky platinum color, and I'm certain it's a goldfish. 

If you're certain the other ones are carp, and the gold one is the same size, its not a goldfish. Goldfish generally top out at about 12", including long fins. If they're big, its probably just a koi.

So my question is this: if I see gold color like that on a carp, is it likely that it's a hybrid or an old goldfish? 

Also, has anyone ever seen koi school with carp? That platinum looked more like a koi, by the color, but I'm not sure if that's something that happens. 

If they're medium sized, could be hybrid carp x goldfish, probably carp x koi. I see koi mixed with carp all the time. Went carping a week ago, had a bright orange one about 30" in my swim for over an hour but didn't get a single lift. He was mixed in with several commons.

Edited by strat guy, 18 May 2015 - 10:10 PM.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#6 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

From what I've read, the "ghost carp" are said to be crosses of common carp and koi. Looking at the one in our collection,  I think that might be the gold color you're seeing.

FishGuyJosh

#7 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

I googled "ghost carp", and that seems to be what the pale one is. It might match some of the others? I'll try to get some pictures next time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users