Photo

gravid female southern redbelly dace

8 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

I just received my order of southern redbelly dace and it looks like 3 of the females are gravid. How do I get the females to lay their eggs? 2 males were in spawning when I got them, but went out of it when they were put into the aquarium... How should I trigger their spawning so they will fertilize the eggs?

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Put a shallow dish with coarse gravel near the filter return chute so that water is kept moving through the gravel, like a chub nest.  Feed them well with live and frozen foods, especially worms and mosquito larvae.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

To add on to what Gerald said, there really isn't any magic you can do.  Provide the proper conditions/habitat and they will do the rest.  Flow, and a manufactured chub nest should do it.

Nick L.

#4 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

I got a shallow plastic dish and filled it with only the gravel from the aquarium and not with sand. I placed it under the filter return. I feed Bloodworms 1-2 times a day.

I just got these fish yesterday. How long do you think it will take for the males to spawn with the gravid females? What time of day do they usually spawn? How can I tell when there are eggs?

#5 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

With population I had, they liked to spawn in gravel beneath large rocks.  Current in tank was pretty good.  Embryos were easy to harvest by sampling.  I incubated eggs in a covered shoe box filled to a depth of only 1/2 inch.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

My minnow-spawning dish is a small clear glass baking dish.  I can lift it out and look up through the bottom for eggs.  I use coarse gravel, about 3/8 to 1/2 inch size, so eggs fall through it easily.  I assume SRBD eggs are non-adhesive, like Notropis eggs, correct?  If eggs are present I hold back the gravel with my hand and pour out the water into shoe box like centrarchid describes. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:48 AM

With population I had, they liked to spawn in gravel beneath large rocks.  Current in tank was pretty good.  Embryos were easy to harvest by sampling.  I incubated eggs in a covered shoe box filled to a depth of only 1/2 inch.

Swap "siphoning" for "sampling".

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#8 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Do I need to do a lower temperature water change to trigger the males to spawn? The black lines on them are darker now, but the males never got their red color back so far. Also I don't think they have spawned in the dish yet since the females still looks very gravid.

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

That couldn't hurt.  Sometimes shiners respond positively to the addition of cool water after a decent water change and start spawning.  My Rainbow shiners do.  You can check your nest/dish daily for eggs.  If the fry hatch out and become free swimming before you notice them------the adults will and make quick work of them.

Nick L.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users