Swamp darters

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Sorry no pics yet. So pretty sure what they are, I'm limited to a only a few types in MA which helps. I scoopped 6 total: all under 1-1/4"; four of them chunkier w/ more gill plate color bl/grn, the other two same length just slender & plain. They are in a 10 gal basic planted/driftwood(java fern & moss, american v. and corkscrew, also a funk outdoor plant I haven't id yet) and eating frozen brine since the 2nd day now going on 1 month. Is there any chance in them breeding? I have an airstone plus a little internal filter I run basically to kick up crap in the tank now an again, nothing else. Water temp is about 60-65, Any ideas?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:38 AM

There are only two species of darter in Massachusetts, the swamp (E. fusiforme) and the tessellated (E. olmstedi). The swamp is the easiest to find in my experience, except on the Cape where tessellateds were common in some ponds we seined. So I'd assume the ones you found were swamps, especially if they're slim; tessellateds are noticeably more robust. Swamps can be picky eaters, and definitely keep them at no more than room temperature this time of year. They can tolerate warmer water than most darters. As to breeding... it's a big maybe, as always. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users