Photo

Identify fry by behavior?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

Yeah! I have sorta spawned my first native fish that aren't Gambusia! I was out checking the 100 gallon stock pond and I was thrilled to see not only that the snails (fish chow)are holding on, but there were other food-type inverts in there as well. Then I saw the little dude. The cutest little fry I've ever seen.

The problem is, I don't know what type of fry it is. Most likely it's either some type of shad (threadfin or gizzard) or Carolina Darter. Those two overwintered in the pond. A couple weeks ago three Blackbanded Sunfish were added; and they looked primed for reproduction. Eastern Mudminnow were introduced last summer, but their mortality was catostrophic and near immediate. I have not seen one (alive) since the day they went in.

The tub is about half filled with hornwort and Java moss. There is ample string algae and some dirt substrate. According to my books, given the 1/4" size of the fry, I can't really rule any of those fish out based on the size of the fry or the type of habitat available in the tank.

He was hunting in the string algae. It was a typical "fry brown" color, with pretty "flourescentish" green flecks in it. Nothing that meant anything in me, though. Except maybe the way he hunted. He didn't scoot around like schooling fry tend to do. He didn't hang in one spot in the open like a fish used to being protected by a parent would. It didn't float on the top, hide in the weeds, or rest on the bottom. The best description I can give is that it acted like a gar. It hung almost motionless, but was always moving, nearly imperseptibly. Very deliberate. Kind of like a darter, maybe?

I'm going to leave in the tub and hope for the best. But I expect he'll get eaten. Based on this meager evidence, anybody care to make a guess as to his identity?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if it were a mudminnow... they hunt like that as adults...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

By your description, I think it's a turtle.  Most likely a rare, Red Eared Slider.

Nick L.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

By your description, I think it's a turtle.  Most likely a rare, Red Eared Slider.

I deserve that.
Matt Knepley

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

If there's any chance that 2 mudminnows survived, that would be my guess too.  Never seeing the adults is normal for mudminnows in a tub or pool.   But then, distinguishing shad from darters can be a challenge too sometimes.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a mudminnow... they hunt like that as adults...

... it acted like a gar. It hung almost motionless, but was always moving, nearly imperceptibly.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

"But then, distinguishing shad from darters can be a challenge too sometimes."

Deserved that one, too.
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users