Photo

How much salt in buckets?

7 replies to this topic

#1 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

I am going to be going on a collection trip this summer, i know that fish disease (flexibactor, fungus etc.) are at there peak that time of the year and i do not want to lose a unique fish to "white fuzzy death", so how much salt would i put in a bucket (per gallon).

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

use the search function here on the forum... we've talked about it a bunch before... I can't remember the number but its something like a tablespoon in a five gallon bucket.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Tablespoon per 5 gallons is safe for most any fish. Make sure it is pure salt. Non-iodized and no anti-caking agents.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

I use Instant Ocean instead of simply salt and twice as much as recommended here. If I have it on hand i will replace half the salt with calcium chloride... 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#5 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thank you, didn't see any other topics about it, and being new to forums  in general, forgot about the existence of a search button  :biggrin:

Edited by loopsnj64, 24 May 2015 - 03:51 PM.

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have gone higher myself with the salt. Rarely actually measure it, but the tablespoon per 5 gallons is pretty tried and true, and does not seem to bother catfish. It also seems like enough to do the job most of the time. If you are taking fish from a very pristine springfed waterway, adding a bit more may be helpful especially in the heat of summer. A bit of ice to cool the water IMO is never a bad idea either.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

I have gone higher myself with the salt. Rarely actually measure it, but the tablespoon per 5 gallons is pretty tried and true, and does not seem to bother catfish. It also seems like enough to do the job most of the time. If you are taking fish from a very pristine springfed waterway, adding a bit more may be helpful especially in the heat of summer. A bit of ice to cool the water IMO is never a bad idea either.

Instead of putting ice in the water, I'm putting the fish buckets in a cooler, the trip is short (under 3 hours) so the cooler is no doubt enough to keep them cool for a while, will bring ice in case of traffic though

-From an art book I read

#8 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

I use 1 teasp/gal, which is about 1.5 g/Liter (ppt).  1 Tbsp/ 5 gal is roughly 1.0 g/L (ppt). 

(Who carries a 5 gal bucket FULL when collecting?)

In warm weather i freeze small water bottles half-full (laid on their sides so they dont crack) and float those in the cooler if needed.  Less likely to shock the fish with a sudden temp plunge than if using loose ice.  In hot weather I dont even try to bring fish home.  They're already close to their thermal limit and any additional stress may be too much (especially minnows).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users