Photo

Tiny natives for tiny tanks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

'ello all! I recently set up a pair of 2 gallon 'walstad' bowls (they are not true walstad bowls...they both have air powered filters), and I wanted to get an idea of my stocking options. Would any of our tiny native fish do well in such a setup, or would I be better off just sticking with inverts in these 'tanks'?

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

I think Elassoma sps., Heterandria formosa, and Swampfish (Chologaster cornuta) would both do well in those setups. Maybe a few other species as well.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

Bluefin Killis (Lucania goodei) would work as well... maybe just a MFF trio?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

I honestly thought bluefins would be a tad big...

Anyhow, what about the other animals? How many H. formosa or Elassoma would do well in one of the bowls?

#5 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

If you try swampfish, beforewarned they they are jumpers. Quite surprising, but I learned the hard way last summer when 6 of the 8 I had were fish sticks one morning.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#6 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

least killifish, swamp fish, pygmy sunnies all come to mind

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#7 CCat

CCat
  • NANFA Member
  • Denver, CO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

2 gallons? I'd say 6 or so heterandria formosa -- enough for them to have some pals, but not be too crowded  (6 will be a dozen before you know it though, so have a plan for that.) They'd be fine with shrimp too, if you want to add some other interesting fauna without adding much bioload.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users