Photo

Fish density relative to humans?

3 replies to this topic

#1 jetajockey

jetajockey
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:54 AM

Just a thought I've had.  In the different sampling places I go to, it seems like the most density of specimens turns up in areas where humans frequent, i.e. bridge overpasses, boat launches, public parks, etc.  They seem to be far more productive than a bed of weeds out in the middle of nowhere, anyhow.  

So maybe the human presence brings with it a food source and this helps the populations?  Or is this just my run of luck?

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:34 AM

I think the coincidence you are noticing is that where there are man-made structures placed in the water---boat launches, bridges, etc----there are more fish.  But there is a direct correlation.  Prey species hang around structure for protection.  Predators hang around the prey.  Think of a coral reef.  The small reef fish hang in/around the coral.  And very few stray far into the open water.  And the larger predators are always looming nearby.    The more suitable habitat we produce in a given body of water, the more potential there is greater number of predator/prey species.

Nick L.

#3 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

Just a thought I've had.  In the different sampling places I go to, it seems like the most density of specimens turns up in areas where humans frequent, i.e. bridge overpasses, boat launches, public parks, etc.  They seem to be far more productive than a bed of weeds out in the middle of nowhere, anyhow.  

So maybe the human presence brings with it a food source and this helps the populations?  Or is this just my run of luck?

You should look to see if you frequent man made structures for collection more often than these middle of nowhere sites, as it is possible you are experiencing some sampling bias. 

That aside, man made structures often work as current breaks, which invite all sorts of fish in. Below are a few images I took of a boat ramp a few years ago, the fish were all there to rest from the higher than normal flow. This may be an extreme example (post hurricane water levels)  but it stands to reason the current break exists year round:

Attached Images

• DSC_0253.png
  • DSC_0256.png
  • DSC_0283.png
  • DSC_0327.png

#4 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

It's definitely the structures themselves that fish like, rather than the humans. A never-used bridge in the middle of nowhere will have about the same fish population as a similar bridge in a more active area, possibly more fish due to less disturbances. 

Also, if humans are catching large fish and keeping them, the numbers of small fish in the area will go up. That could be contributing to what you're seeing. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users