Photo

New(ish) 67 gallon, community stocking ideas?

7 replies to this topic

#1 simko

simko
  • NANFA Guest
  • NorthEast

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

Hi Everyone

New to the forum not new to fishkeeping, although VERY new to native fish!

I just picked up a tank last night, testing it for leaks and may reseal it

http://i.imgur.com/d0OzzNa.jpg

I was curious, can  someone point me in the right direction to do some reading about stocking a community tank? I was thinking of modelling a fast moving river. I would love an assortment of darters, some kind of schooling fish and maybe even a madtom catfish? I would love to have all three levels of the tank occupied (top , middle and bottom dwelling fish). Also, would love to have this tank planted relatively heavily as i am a big fan of planted tanks, not sure how i can do that when mimicing a fast moving river/heavy current

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Well first things first, where do you live? Many of us here are big fans of modeling a cream tank around the species that are present in your area. I'm currently growing Cabomba very well in my riffle tank but the key is to place the plant out of the direct flow and make sure it has an established root system to keep it anchored down.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 simko

simko
  • NANFA Guest
  • NorthEast

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

I am in NE Michigan near the detroit/windsor border crossing

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

Welcome aboard simko!  Browse or search this site, there is a ton of info on here.  Also, check out the home page because there are some really good articles.  Another thing you can do is check your State DNR pages and also neighboring states that may have the same species.  It's important to know the rules for collecting and such, but those sites also offer a ton of info on what species are in your area, and even more importantly, what species are protected.

After all that fun research, then if you have a specific question or anything that you couldn't find, there are plenty of folks here that know their stuff that can help you.  At least that's what I did and I found it very helpful  :biggrin:

Kevin Wilson

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

I was curious, can  someone point me in the right direction to do some reading about stocking a community tank? I was thinking of modelling a fast moving river. I would love an assortment of darters, some kind of schooling fish and maybe even a madtom catfish? I would love to have all three levels of the tank occupied (top , middle and bottom dwelling fish). Also, would love to have this tank planted relatively heavily as i am a big fan of planted tanks, not sure how i can do that when mimicing a fast moving river/heavy current

Sean is right, you should look at the main NANFA page... this forum is just a small part of who we are.

Check out the link below and cursor down about midway there is an article on setting up a riffle tank.

http://www.nanfa.org/ac.shtml

This link is also good for some fish species...

http://www.nanfa.org...ptivecare.shtml

It is totally possible to do what you are talking about... topminnows plus shiners plus darters plus live plants.  Madtoms can be problematic and hide a lot, so may not be the best choice for your first tank.  But you can do this and have a lot of fun with local species.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Madtoms will eat most other things on your list. They're best kept alone or with larger fish like sunfish.

I suggest you take a net out to a local river, catch a bunch of fish, and see what you have. Don't keep anything yet, just see what's readily available in the area. It doesn't do any good to know from a guide that fish X is in your river if you have no way of catching it. 

#7 simko

simko
  • NANFA Guest
  • NorthEast

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

HI Everyone

thanks for the replies, ill do some more research on the main page, im currently looking at making a net and going out next weekend to see whats living nearby, ill try to take somephotos :)

#8 Sho Bud

Sho Bud
  • NANFA Guest
  • Louisville KY

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

I've had a stonecat for 2 years that is just now pushing 5". It was 4" long when I caught it. I've never seen one any bigger than that here in central Ky. I also believe they get much larger in streams that drain into Lake Erie. So it may depend on the drainage.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users