Photo

Hello Nanfa Community!

17 replies to this topic

#1 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest
  • College: Chattanooga TN | Home: Berrien Springs, MI

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

So, I suppose I'm meant to introduce myself here eh? Well hello. You guys will know me as Kazonak and I am a huge fan of Micro-fishing, and dip netting. I've been catching and studying the small fish that I've captured since I was about 6 years old and I absolutely LOVE IT. There was a time I had Six wild-style aquariums, but ,due to my move, I now only have my Fifty gallon, and a small five gallon Quarantine tank set up. I love to Fly Fish and trout-fish as well, dad had a rod in my hand with a salmonid of some sort (bad pic) on the line, before I could walk.

Sadly though, I've never actually met another Micro-fisherman in person. And didn't even find out that my strange little hobby was actually a thing until about 3 1/2 years ago. I live in South Carolina, but I've brought back fish from numerous States in the past, including (but not limited to): MI, IN, M, NC, TN, FL, GA. Guess I'm a little obsessed... I really want to sign up to be a member soon, but my finances said no. Presently all I have in Natives are Marbled Mosquito fish, Highback Chub, Northern Hog Sucker, N. Mottled Sculpin, W. Blacknose Dace, and three new species that have gotten me confused.

And there's my little introduction!

Kazonak 

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

Welcome Kaz!

We have quite a few members in SC, although I am not sure that many of them are micro-fishers.  But we got plenty of them in NANFA.  Seems like they were all at the convention last week in OK!  I'm sure they will chime in here.

Add a river drainage to your location if you dont mind.  That helps people identify fishes and lets us know where you are in general so we can let you know when we might be getting together to investigate some streams.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Welcome Kazonak!  

Tank and fishing pics!   :D/ 

Kevin Wilson

#4 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Welcome Kaz!

We have quite a few members in SC, although I am not sure that many of them are micro-fishers.  But we got plenty of them in NANFA.  Seems like they were all at the convention last week in OK!  I'm sure they will chime in here.

Add a river drainage to your location if you dont mind.  That helps people identify fishes and lets us know where you are in general so we can let you know when we might be getting together to investigate some streams.

I'll do just that pretty soon! Thanks for notifying me! 

#5 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Welcome! Good to see another SC person here.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

Welcome, from another Palmetto State NANFAn! Michael is right, there are quite a few of us from SC here. You and I must be reasonably close if you're in the Saluda drainage. I'm pretty much on the ridge that separates the Saluda and Savannah drainages. I'm not much of a microfisher, but it sounds like you have found those of us who are here on the forum. Get a hold of Ben and he'll teach you the secret handshake and pass-words. :) I do love trout fishing, no matter how poor I am at it. Flies are beyond me, I'm a spinner, plug, and worm tosser. If I had to pick a favorite fish, it just might be a native brookie. To me, the highlight of my exceptionally modest fishing career is a 6" native Southern Brookie I pulled out of a headwaters up in the SC Blue Ridge.

Anywho, welcome again to NANFA! Can't wait to hear more from you.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

Welcome from another South Carolinian. I'm down at the beach so I don't get up your way very often.

between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

Welcome, from another Palmetto State NANFAn! Michael is right, there are quite a few of us from SC here. You and I must be reasonably close if you're in the Saluda drainage. I'm pretty much on the ridge that separates the Saluda and Savannah drainages. I'm not much of a microfisher, but it sounds like you have found those of us who are here on the forum. Get a hold of Ben and he'll teach you the secret handshake and pass-words. :) I do love trout fishing, no matter how poor I am at it. Flies are beyond me, I'm a spinner, plug, and worm tosser. If I had to pick a favorite fish, it just might be a native brookie. To me, the highlight of my exceptionally modest fishing career is a 6" native Southern Brookie I pulled out of a headwaters up in the SC Blue Ridge.

Anywho, welcome again to NANFA! Can't wait to hear more from you.

Matt, If I ever get out with you, I can make you a proper brook trout angler, fly rod and all. My favorite fish, and I am actually good at catching them. Not much to brag about as they do not really test your angling skill, but boy are they beautiful, and live in the most beautiful streams.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

Matt, If I ever get out with you, I can make you a proper brook trout angler, fly rod and all. My favorite fish, and I am actually good at catching them. Not much to brag about as they do not really test your angling skill, but boy are they beautiful, and live in the most beautiful streams.

Challenge gratefully and enthusiastically accepted. Just remember, I'm the guy Dustin called a jinx! ;)

See the kind of fun we have here, Kazonak?
Matt Knepley

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

Oh, I was not trying to challenge. Just figure I have done it enough that I could have a great time fishing with you, and maybe some of my 15 years of southern Appalachian trout fishing, primarily in tiny blue lines for brook trout might give you a bit of a head start. Without worms. But if you need worms, we could skip the native brook trout water and fish for some of those hatchery brook trout.

#11 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Matt D., if you take Matt K. with you, you will NOT catch fish.  It's a fact rather than an opinion, unfortunately.  

Welcome Kaz.  I am also in the Saluda drainage just before it joins the Broad to form the Congaree.  I don't get out much in the summer, but come fall I will be out most weekends if you are interested in coming along.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#12 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:04 PM

Oh, That bad huh, Dustin? Never mind Matt. Just in case that "jinx" is contagious. Better safe than sorry.

Kazonak, I highly suggest that you take Dustin up on his offer. Not only is he a great guy, but he really knows his fish and how and where to catch them.

#13 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

Wow. You guys are really generous! I might be able to come occasionally this fall, but after the summer ends I have to head back for boarding school in NC...

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:11 AM

NC, huh? I think there might be one or two guys on here who have some modicum of NC fish knowledge... :)

If you're in Gwd, then you are right in between the Savannah and Saluda drainages. If you live on the east side, most likely Saluda; if on the west, most likely the Savannah.

I'm just down the road, literally, in Ninety Six. If it's alright with your parents/guardians perhaps I can show you a few spots close by. I'm a dad myself, so I don't expect them to just let you hop in a car with me. I wouldn't. But I'm happy to meet with them, and if they are comfortable with it, I'd love some help seining some places near here. Your parental units can even come along if they'd like. I'll pm you my contact info later today.

Also, Matt D is right. Dustin is a really good one to have show you around. He can't catch fish worth a hoot, but he's good company. ;) Stephen, Harry, myself aren't exactly chumps either. Plus we have killier up in Travelers Rest, so you should be able to get out with other fish nerds...

Matt D- I look forward to imparting my jinx at the first possible opportunity. I just gotta find an excuse to get that way. And a big ol' hole in my schedule...
Matt Knepley

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

Brevard NC. is not too far, or if you don't mind an overnight backpack, (only 4 miles in) Big Snowbird creek in NC is the ticket. It is a big stream by brook trout standards. Three big waterfalls have kept the browns and rainbows out. Follows an old railroad grade, so it is not terribly tough hiking. Google it. It is near Robbinsville NC.

Sorry for derailing your intro Kazonak. Blame it on my ADD.

#16 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:47 PM

NC, huh? I think there might be one or two guys on here who have some modicum of NC fish knowledge... :)

If you're in Gwd, then you are right in between the Savannah and Saluda drainages. If you live on the east side, most likely Saluda; if on the west, most likely the Savannah.

I'm just down the road, literally, in Ninety Six. If it's alright with your parents/guardians perhaps I can show you a few spots close by. I'm a dad myself, so I don't expect them to just let you hop in a car with me. I wouldn't. But I'm happy to meet with them, and if they are comfortable with it, I'd love some help seining some places near here. Your parental units can even come along if they'd like. I'll pm you my contact info later today.

Also, Matt D is right. Dustin is a really good one to have show you around. He can't catch fish worth a hoot, but he's good company. ;) Stephen, Harry, myself aren't exactly chumps either. Plus we have killier up in Travelers Rest, so you should be able to get out with other fish nerds...

Matt D- I look forward to imparting my jinx at the first possible opportunity. I just gotta find an excuse to get that way. And a big ol' hole in my schedule...

I'm In Hodges, kinda in the stix somewhere... I would love to meet up. I'll pm you after discussing the possibility with my parents!

Do you know and Good locations for Fieryblack shiners?

#17 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

The Big City of Hodges, eh? ;) Actually, I've worked in Hodges enough to know that there is a lot more to it than you see rolling past Somebody's House and the concrete block factory...

Your home drainage could still be Savannah or Saluda; Hodges sits on that same ridge Gwd does. If you are east of 178, you are probably in Saluda; west of it is probably Savannah. For many fish you might want to find it won't matter, but for others it will. As for Fieryblacks, I have been finding them at the park in Ware Shoals this summer. Not huge numbers, but they are definitely there. Other than that, I have not found Fieryblacks nearby.

As has been discussed above, this is a tricky time of year for collecting fish. Cyprinids seem especially problematic; darters on the other hand are bulletproof by comparison. I was actually at Ware Shoals yesterday evening, playing in the river while the wife waded the edges of the river. Gave into temptation and kept a small school of Fieryblacks. Mortality as of this morning is right at 50%. There are a couple more I think I'm going to lose, but I reckon the others will make it. Something to keep in mind if you get that way. I can give you more specific areas at the park to try if you're interested.
Matt Knepley

#18 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

Wait, Hold up. You have a wife that supports our kind in our sort of interests???!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users